New Lounger
    Thanks

merge document (Word 2003)

I teach class at a local community college. I created attendance sheets for my classes. I have been creating a document in excel that has columns for day of week and date. Then I merge that into a word document that has lines for the students to sign in when arriving for class. Under each line is preprinted the students name (some signatures I cannot decipher). I print a page for each class session with the appropriate day and date at the beginning of the term.
    During the term there are students who drop and sometimes get added soon after the term starts. This means the student names that are preprinted need to change.
    Is there a way that not only can I mail merge the day and date for each session, but also merge the list of students onto the same page. For instance if student #8 drops then that means the remaining students name need to move up on page. I would like to have list in, lets say, excel and can dropped easily and then merged onto a new print out.
    I have tried to have columns of day, date and students. But each merge page will have the correct day of the week and date, but only one student name for all the blanks on a page. Then the next page has the next student in the list. Can I get all students on one page at a time?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: merge document (Word 2003)

Have you set up the merge for an address list in the first step of the Mail Merge wizard (=task pane)?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I have the Day of the week that the class meets (Tuesday, Thursday, Tuesday, Thursday, etc) in one column of the spreadsheet and the second column has the corresponding calendar date. Each column is labels Day and Date. I merge using those two columns.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, but I was after something else. When you start a mail merge, the first step in the Mail Merge task pane asks what kind of document you want to create. If you keep the default Letters, each record from the source data will be merged to a new page. Select Directory to print a list of records on one page.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (4.8 KB, 0 views)