Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Chapter number & title in header (2003)

I have a fairly large document (150+ pages) in which I want to place the chapter number and chapter title in the page footer of most (but not all) pages. I've already applied the built-in heading styles (Heading 1 is Chapter 1), and I've divided the document into sections in a pattern as follows:

Section 1 is the body of Chapter 1. I want the header for section 1 to display nothing on the first page (the chapter number and title are already on display on the first line of the text).
    Section 2 is a brief test ("check on learning"). The header will display a brief set of instructions for the test.
    Section 3 is similar to Section 1: It will pick up the chapter number and title pattern on all pages of the section.
    Section 4 is another check on learning.
    Section 5 is identical to Section 3.
    Section 4: Start new chapter; identical to Section 1.

And so it goes. I've been trying to use Insert > Reference... > Cross reference > Reference type: Heading. I found this approach in Word Help. The problem seems to be that the headers don't automatically pick up the chapter numbers. Also, when I get to Chapter 2 and go to insert the reference, I have to scroll down through the dialog box to find the heading reference to Chapter 2.

Shouldn't the reference pick up the correct chapter number and title? The way this is going, it seems I'd be as well off to just type the headings in manually.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chapter number & title in header (2003)

Instead of a cross reference, insert a StyleRef field in the header:

- Activate a header.
    - Delete the cross reference, if necessary.
    - Select Insert | Field...
    - Select StyleRef in the list of field names.
    - Select Heading 1 in the list of styles.
    - Tick/clear the options as needed.
    - Click OK.

The StyleRef field will pick up the text or number of the appropriate Heading paragraph.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The quickest way to enter the reference is to use Control-F9 to enter the { } marks for a field code and then add the text STYLEREF and the stylename, so that it looks like this.

{ STYLEREF "Heading 1" }

Since the points where you want the behaviour to change are generally section breaks, it should be easy enough to include the STYLEREF in sections where it is needed and not in the others. (Insert all the sections, then break the link from each section's footers to the previous ones, then delete the STYLEREF field from footers where it isn't needed.

For the first page you can either use a different first page, or you can use an IF field to suppress the STYLEREF field.
    { IF { PAGE} = 1 "" { STYLEREF "Heading 1"} }
    This says that if the page number is 1 nothing should be displayed, otherwise display the STYLEREF field.

STuartR

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

HansV and StuartR: You guys are the greatest! You've saved me again! Thank you!