5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format field (2000)

Hi,
    I have a text field in a form that the user inputs SURNAME, Forename. Is there a way that I can format it to be this way without any deviations.
    I have looked at the Input mask, but this seems to specify how many characters.

I have an ongoing problem with records being duplicated because people aren't bothering to look up a record before entering a new one. Their changing each record slightly so that they can enter the data.

The rest of my fields are able to be covered by Input Mask as they're set character lengths.

The obvious solution would be to split the surname & forename, but as there are now several hundred records, this will be a time consuming task.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Format field (2000)

I fear that splitting the field into a separate Surname field and Forename field will be the best solution in the long term. You can use an update query to split the existing names - see for example the recent thread starting at <post#=446618>post 446618</post#>.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I've now split the field into two.
    Generally as a rule of thumb, when designing a database, do you always approach it with the idea of making it foolproof. Controlling what data goes into essential fields, how it is inputted, etc?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

To make a database foolproof is an unattainable ideal, I fear. But yes, considering how users will enter data, and making it as easy as possible for them while keeping the data as consistent as possible is part of the design process.