4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Graphic positions differ on different machines (Word 2003)

We recently upgraded to Word 2003 from Word 2000. A coworker said she was having problems with several graphics (all circles, lines, boxes, etc. created from within Word) that were postioned correctly in 2000, but were vertically misaligned by several inches in 2003. In doing further testing, I found that this was not an issue. I have to laptops with Word 2003. One showed it correctly and one showed it incorrectly.

On further research, I found that I could not figure out why it looked right on any machine. For example, on the machin on which it looked correct, I found one circle that had a vertical position of absolute -0.68" below paragraph, and a circle just a half inch below and to the left had a vertical position of absolute 5.89" below paragraph. The only other difference I found was that the first one showed up in the Format Object window with "In front of text", and the second did not seem to have any selections in the Format Object window.

I can't figure out why it looks right on any PC.

Can any one give me any clues as to what is going on?

Thanks!!
    Troy

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphic positions differ on different machines (Word 2003)

Could it be a different default printer?

StuartR

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphic positions differ on different machines (Word 2003)

That was my first thought as well, but both machines have the same default printer.

Sorry I didn't put that in my original post.

Any other ideas? I just can't figure out why it looks right at all on any machine, given the differences in position.

Troy

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Graphic positions differ on different machines

Can you check under Tools > Templates and Add-Ins to see that the styles are not automatically updating when the file is opened. This can cause the styles to change as the attached template may have defined styles differently.

The positions of the graphics are relative to the paragraphs they are attached to. The graphics are most likely attached to different paragraphs and therefore they need different relative offsets to appear to line up.

Otherwise you might need to post the file so we can have a look at how the graphics are placed on the page.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphic positions differ on different machines

I am posting a zip file that contains a generic version of the document. I deleted sensitive text, but left all graphics as is. I confirmed that it still looks correct on one laptop and incorrect on another. I have also included a screenshot called "Looks_Right.gif" to show you what it should look like and does look like on one PC, as well as a screenshot called "Looks_Wrong.gif" to show you how it appears on the other PC.

Any help any of you can give will be appreciated!!

Thanks!!
    Troy
    Attached Files Attached Files