Thread: raid controller

New Lounger
    Thanks

raid controller

i'm trying to understand the difference between a sata raid controller and a scsi raid controller. i want to set up a new computer with two hard drives as raid1. i seem to have the option of either controller but can't find a good explanation for the differences. appreciate any insight.

rtfelten

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: raid controller

The difference is in the first word!

If you have SCSI drives, you need a SCSI controller. You wouldn't be able to do this with fewer than three (probably identical) drives, and you would probably have a server.

If you have Serial ATA=SATA drives, you need a SATA disk controller (e.g. Promise).

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Thanks

Raid 1 - aka mirroring - requires just two drives.

Thanks

Some information here at SearchStorage.com, and millions of other links thrown up by Google.
    My understanding is that SATA can be less reliableand can be slower, but the difference between them is closing. I've just bought a new (Dell) server for work with RAID 1 and the biggest influence was cost. I'm trusting the (theoretical) 100% fault tolerance it gives will compensate for any reliability factor, and the slight difference in speed will be of negligible concern.

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks for the help. i am looking at a dell also and was unsure, because of cost, which way to go. your info really helped. thanks to both of you.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, true... With SCSI I invariably think of RAID-5 for the data drives, LOTS of them, but we did RAID-1 the operating system drive with two disks...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...