Lounger
    Thanks

Link to other workbooks! (Excel 2000)

Help, someone has linked my excel to another excel and I received "This workbook contains automatic links to information in another workbook" the last time I opened it. I didnt link it. I was able to see the links through the edit menu (but not find the owner because they no longer existed) and I broke them by selecting "Change" and just hittting as blsnk ok, but one remines that I cant get rid of. i tired switching it with one of my own that has nothing to do with the workbook, then I tried to delete that workbook, but I cant get rid of the errant pop up. How do I break all links with Excel 2000? There is no delete button!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Link to other workbooks! (Excel 2000)

Get Bill Manville's free FindLink add-in from Office Automation Ltd. - The Excel MVP Page.

Lounger
    Thanks

Downloaded it, ran it per the instructions, "enabled macros" and got Visual basic error: File not Found. This is also form a corporate computer where normally I cannot download items, but I was able to save the zip to my drive.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you post the problem workbook (zipped)? Remove or replace sensitive information.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hurm. Its all sensitive and thetre are about 35 sheets all interelated. Can i just delete all but one sheet?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you can find out which sheet is the "culprit", you could create a workbook with just that sheet, and post it.

Lounger
    Thanks

I brought it home and used the Link Finder you referenced. What a mess. I pretty much know what happened- I have all these jazzy formulas and charts and someone decided to help themselves. If they would just ask! I blame myself because I am a back up nut, but I havent done it in a week because of all the improvements I have been making. They were even dumb enough to label one of the folders as the managers name, so Ill be talking to him tomorrow about edicate.

I am sure there were many graphs and formulas that were "pasted special as link". They had moved data from my share drive to their private drive. I understand Excel 2003 has a "Disable Link" feature. Thank god. I was at the mercy of these villains! Lan Support was clueless as well- too bad.

I did notice some "false positives" from the Link Finder. It was good, though, because it even caught some errors the villain had made while manipulating some of my graph series. Nice tool. I have been to that site before, but never really took advantage.

Now I am link free!

Thanks Hans! Again! And again!