3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printers By Logon Script?

I know I can (indeed have done) connect a share to a specific drive letter using a script (a batch file *.cmd) that I can apply to various users on my Windows 2000 AD domain but I would like to know if I can do the same with a printer? I've tried but so far no luck ... do I have to switch over to some kind of VB Script (oh no, another learning curve)?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printers By Logon Script?

Not too much learning to do if you have a good example. See the replies to <post#=440452>post 440452</post#>.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

You are possibly thinking of NET USE LPT1 printserverprintersharename but that only works for Command Prompt programs.

For Windows you need to use a program like Microsoft's CON2PRT (lots of stuff returned by Googling), or a similar program. Also see one of Jerry Schulman's Tips.

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John,

That con2prt thing works well except that I can't seem to get it to work as an automated script i.e. it doesn't connect the printers by batch file as I log on but it does work if I run the same batch file directly from the NETLOGON share! Don't understand that at all but since it requires only to be run once for printers (after that it remembers) it's not a bad solution so thanks :-)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Stuart,

I will check that out later ... I found out when I failed my MCSE 2003 exam that they (MS) want you know how to VBScript but don't actually teach any on the official courses!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

We always used to run it as part of our Logon Scripts -- but there's the usual problem with pesky permissions.

We got round these problems long ago by always making the global group Domain Users a member of Local Administrators on each machine.

Although we've had no recorded problems with this since late 1995 and Windows NT 3.50, there are some objections on the security side...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HI John,

That's interesting because, though I haven't included all domain users in my local admin group I have included the one user I am logging on as and, as sated above, it makes no difference!

Here's the script I am using:

net use m: ADServershare1
    net use p: ADServershare2
    net use t: ADServershare3

con2prt /cd ADServerprinter1
    con2prt /c ADServerprinter2

The drive mappings work on logon, the printer mappings don't, both work if I run the batch file from the NETLOGON share subsequently ... any more ideas?