Star Lounger
    Thanks

Security and Start Up

I have read all the password and security posts, and the 39 page MS Access Security FAQ.

My question is this - I DO NOT want to lock down the SHIFT+CLICK start up mode. I have set up startup options - don't use full menus, etc. The problem is, once I've set up security and passwords, I can't use the SHIFT+CLICK method to start. Any ideas? Is there another way to show full menus? How come show menus / hide objects isn't part of the security settings based on groups? Or am I missing something?

THANKS!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Security and Start Up

What you need to do is add some code to your project startup routine and use the Command() function to see if a command line argument has been passed in. Then set your menubars and database properties based on that passed value. That way, if you know the command line argument to use to start the mdb, you can get into the database window, etc. This is the method I've used for years because I definitely DO turn off the bypass shortcut on my databases when I distribute them.

There are a couple of gotchas on this. One is that you need to dim a variant variable to hold the value returned by Command. Even though the argument is always a string, on my machine trying to assign it to a string variable gives me an empty string every time. The variant works. I generally pass in an expression like "Dev_Mode=-1" and test for exactly that string in the return value.

The other thing to watch out for is the shortcut you need to run the database. In order to get command line arguments to be read, you must include both the full path to the access executable and the full path to your database ahead of the arguments, then use /cmd and a space ahead of the argument string. Here's an example:

"C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeMSACCESS.EXE" D:cfoustCrop2kDemoCropRpt2K.mdb /nostartup /cmd "DEV_ON=-1"
    Charlotte

Star Lounger
    Thanks

THANKS.

I'm not yet familiar enough with VBA to follow your steps - I was hoping there was an easier solution.

I did FINALLY figure out those link gotchas - lots of trial and error (wasn't much on this in the help files!).

DO YOU KNOW - how to get an icon to stick with the link? (I picked up an icon off my c drive, but when it's copied to a floppy or emailed, it loses the icon.)

THANKS AGAIN.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean by "stickin with the link." Do you mean an icon for the application, an icon for the shortcut or a replacement for the Access splash screen?

The splash screen is easy, just put a bitmap file with the same name as the database in the same directory. Then start your database and the bitmap will replace the built in Access splash screen.

If you're talking about the icon associated with the shortcut, just copying the database and ico file to a disk won't work. The path is hard coded in the shortcut, so the only way you can get it to install on another machine is with a setup created using either the Packaging and Deployment Wizard (the Setup Wizard in Office Developer Edition for Office 97) or a third party installation packager like InstallShield or Wise.

For inside the program, the application icon can be set in the Tools-->Startup menu, but again, this will break on a hard coded path, so the cure is the same as above.
    Charlotte