New Lounger
    Thanks

How to tell if using MS Works Suite version of Wor (2000/2002)

Hi,

I have an application that uses Word VBA and gets distributed to my users as a template, and all is well ...

...except for some users who have the MS Works Suite version of Word installed which seems to be slightly different to the version that of Word that comes with the real MS Office bundle.

I was wondering whether anyone knew of a way I can tell the difference between these 2 versions of word so that I can prompt my users they do not have the correct version?

Both seem to get installed to an Office folder in program files, is there a registry key, a build number, a significant file difference, that can distinguish the 2 versions from each other?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Re: How to tell if using MS Works Suite version of

Are you sure they are all using the Works "Suite"? Works Suite contains the regular Word program (the version depends on the version of the Works Suite installed) while "Works" contains it's own word processor.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, they are using the Suite, and the version of Word that it comes with looks identical to regular office Word, but believe me it's not. They are not using the Word processer that comes with msworks itself

The Word that gets bundled with the Suite is different to word that gets bundles with Office, the users tend to run slower with this version and get unpredicable errors and crashes which do not occur when the version of Word is installed from the real MS Office.

Thanks

According to MS, the version of Word which is built into the Suite is identical to the standalone (or Office Suite) version. You should be able to get the build # and SP level with "Help>About". Have all of the Suite users updated to the latest SP's, etc. via the Office Update site? Apart from that, I'm not sure what to suggest. Perhaps someone else has some ideas.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks John. Do you have a link to that article that Microsoft states these 2 version of word are identical?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

May I but in, please, since I've had to give someone else similar information?

If you look here, you will see the comparison between Works 8 and Works Suite 2005.

If you click on the Learn More of Works Suite 2005, you get this webpage, which says:

Write like a professional with Word 2002
    Microsoft Word is the same premier word processor featured in Microsoft Office XP...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, and I understand the marketing of Microsoft to say that you get the same great super word processer with Works Suite that comes with Office.

And Yes, you are beginning to convince me that they are the same [img]/forums/images/smilies/wink.gif[/img] Except for the niggling issue that users who have had problems using our application have on more than one instance been MS Works Word users, and when removing works/word and reinstalling Word from Office CDs their problems mysteriously vanish.

So you guys have got me thinking that it's something to do with MS Works installing 'something' rather than the Works version of Word itself. Maybe I'll recommend they uninstall works, leaving their Word well alone to see if that improves their situtation.

I thank you both for your replies.