Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook - Change to Font (Office 2003)

Hi

I'm having a bit of a problem with Outlook and was wondering if anyone can help (please) !!

In VBA I would like to be able to change the font default settings. From the front end it is just a case of Tools/Options/Mail Format/Font - then change accordingly. Does anyone know how to change this through VBA?

Many thanks
    Jack

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook - Change to Font (Office 2003)

The Outlook object model exposes surprisingly little of the interface. I have Outlook 2002, not 2003; in the Object Browser the search term font doesn't return a single hit in the Outlook library.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Further to HansV's comments, the Outlook Object Model doesn't expose components that are routinely exposed in other MS Apps, and which pose no great virus dangers. It makes sense that MS guards automated access to e-mail address books, but there are many other components that aren't exposed in VBA for no apparent reason. You could look into CDO (start at CDOLIve), or you could look into Redemption as an alternative object library.

However, you can get to a lot of View Setting data indirectly the way Rory patiently shows me in the thread starting with <post#=429123>post 429123</post#>; see if that's of use.

Perhaps you could tell us more about what you are trying to accomplish?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John

One of the guys in my team will be deploying Office 2003 and has a request to change the standard font in Outlook. Originally we looked at registry settings to see if we could manipulate the fonts this way but he cannot see any apparent change to the registry. He then asked me to look at a possible way of changing the default fonts through VBA, hence my post.

I was hoping that we could put a piece of code together that runs when users first log onto Outlook 2003 - it seems like a simple thing to do but I was obviously wrong (I don't get these problems in Word !!).

Regards
    Jack

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jack, you might post this question in the Servers Forum, someone there might have enterprise rollout experience. I sure don't.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Jack,
    I would suggest the first place to look would be at the Office Resource Kit documentation on the MS site - there may be policy settings that will do the job. The setting for non-default fonts is stored under HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftOffice10.0CommonMailSettings (or presumably 11.0 for Off2003) and is in an entry called ComposeFontSimple but it's a REG_BINARY and I don't know what you would need to include as it appears to be more than just the name of the font.
    Failing all that you could create standard stationery and apply that (the NewStationery setting under the same Key.) since by default the stationery font will override any custom font settings I believe.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Rory .... I'll pass this onto the guy in my team (reg keys and all that stuff really isn't my thing).

Regards
    Jack