Lounger
    Thanks

Word delays and hangs (2003 - SP1)

I just installed a new computer and find that Word 2003 SP1 hangs for no reason every now and then. For example, if I hit the Enter key and don't move the mouse, nothing happens. Then when I move the mouse, suddenly the new paragraph mark appears and I can type normally. I hit hangs like this all the time. I asked another person with the same version and they said they have the same problem. Do we have some "enhancment" enabled that should be turned off or what?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word delays and hangs (2003 - SP1)

Standard question: do you have Norton AntiVirus? If so, turn off the Office Plug-in (Options > Miscellaneous in the Other section).

Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I have Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. I don't see any options related to plug-ins, but I may be looking in the wrong place.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Under the configure menu have a look at Microsoft Exchange Auto-Protect and Internet E-mail Auto-Protect.

StuartR

Lounger
    Thanks

Well I turned off Exchange real time protetion because I don't use Exchange. But that didn't help. There is a tab on File System Realtime Protection: should I turn this off as well? I'm a little confused about whether that would defeat the purpose of having the virus checker at all. I don't see any references to "auto protect" nor to Internet E-mail.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I guess the differences between your system and mine are based on the versions of the software. Don't turn off file system real time protection. This would leave you unprotected.

StuartR