3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Reply - Everytime (Outlook XP, Exchange Server)

I have set up a e-mail account for our filing department. The e-mails that arrive to this inbox are requests to pull a file and deliver same to a specific location. I would like to reply to every incoming e-mail with a standard message, "Thank you for your file request. We will complete this request shortly." I have tried rules, but it, like out-of-office, only replies to the first occurrence and ignores subsequent e-mail from the same sender. I want the same standard reply for ALL in-coming e-mail regardless if its from the same sender or not---this automatic return e-mail will act as a confirmation to the sender that the e-mail file retrieval request was successfully delivered to the filing department . Is this something that needs done at the server side to ensure that every in-coming e-mail receives an automatic response regardless of sender? If so, any guidance is greatly appreciated. Or am I doing something wrong and a rule can be established to reply to ALL occurrences and not just the first one from a particular sender. THANKS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Reply - Everytime (Outlook XP, Exchange Server)

It's possible to create a Rule that replies to every e-mail using a Template. How have you set the Rule up?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Reply - Everytime (Outlook XP, Exchange Server)

John,
    I set the rule using the wizard. I can't seem to find help on how to create a template. Is this the same thing as a form? From some internet research, it seems some folks use the these terms interchangeably [form, template]. Consequently, I am really struggling with something that shouldn't be so difficult. Can you point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Re: Automatic Reply - Everytime (Outlook XP, Excha

MSKB 289948: OL2002: OFT Help Information Is Not Provided explains perhaps why you can't find any help -
    <hr>SYMPTOMS
    When you search the Help menu for Outlook Form template (.oft) information, the information is not provided. When you create a rule that requires a reply message, information about how to create an .oft file is not provided on the Help menu.
    CAUSE
    This behavior occurs because the instructions for creating an Outlook Form template reply message is not available on the Help menu.<hr>
    But you may be relieved to know they do include instructions on how to create a template!
    (Note that you must disable Word as your email editor.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Ok...Thanks. Now that I have the information to create a template, how do I make it so a reply is sent to ALL e-mails, not just a single response to the first occurrence? I get the same result with my new template...i.e., the response is only sent for the first occurrence from the sender, not a response for all e-mails regardless of how many received from a single individual. Per my initial post, I need it to reply to ALL. As I search through the Outlook lounge archives, I see selected references to VB script, is this something that I must have coded in the template to overcome the single reply per e-mail address? THANKS.
    THANKS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

That was Leif who directed you to making a Template, not me, but let me try to help. Is this how you are creating the Rule: under Tools | Rules Wizard | New | Start from a blank rule | Check messages when they arrive | Next | Yes (to the warrning that it will apply to all messages) | Reply using a specific Template | click on "<font color=6495ed>a specific template</font color=6495ed>" and select the template you have created | Next | Finish? It should Reply to every Message, does it?
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John, sorry for confusing you with Lief. Yes, your steps are what I did. To validate this, I deleted my rule and re-created it following every line in your post. The new rule replies to the very first e-mail from a sender, but any subsequent e-mail from the same sender does not receive a auto-reply. If I close and re-start Outlook, the process is started again [i.e., the first e-mail is responded to, but thereafter any e-mail from the same sender does not receive an auto response]. It seems to work the same way the out-of-office process works...only one reply per sender. Any other ideas? THANKS.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Jim, sorry for not getting back promptly.

It does apppear that I was wrong and that the behavior of the standard Client Side "Reply to Every Message" Rule (as I outlined above) is the same as the Out of Office Assistant; it only replies once to each Sender, see Slipstick Autoreply. However, that web page provides a link to this Microsoft On-line Assistance article Have Exchange Server send custom reply messages which appears to Reply every time, I hope the instructions work for you. If not, I'm out of ideas.
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,
    Thanks...I will view the server instructions and try them out....thanks for all your help. I hope this works!! Take care.