Lounger
    Thanks

corrupting pst files (XP Pro SP2 - Office 2003 \SP1+)

Hi all, had a 60Gig HDD in the wife's toshiba A10 laptop die, which was replaced under warranty. Have subsequently reloaded XP Pro installed XP SP2+ the new updates. Installed Office Pro 2003 and SP1, the AV app AVG 7, spybot, and a few other app's. I'm not sure what version of Office Pro was on the laptop previously XP or 2003.

Whenever i do an install, i move the Outlook pst file (and any other app) into a folder within "my documents". I then install Karen's replicator www.karenware.com/ and make it do a backup of the my documents folder, to whatever means the computer has for backups. IE to CDRW,DVDRW or another physical HDD, whenever it suits the operator. I have found over the years this saves a LOT of grief. but i digress.

I have copied the old files from my desktop computer back to the laptop (her backup files) created the OL profile upon initial start of the app. deleted the new pst file, directed OL to open what i thought was the old PST file, it was an older version. closed and moved that on to another folder, opened another, found the one I wanted. closed OL copied this one to another folder renamed it and moved it back to the Outlook folder. open OL again this created duplicate personal folders. @#$!%, i then deleted to profile onece again moved the newly created pst file into "my documents/outlook", renamed it "carol's outlook 05-01-29.pst" no problems so far. Figuring on a different approach I went to import the old PST file into the new one. the old PST file was 256Mg in size. Let the import wizard within oultook do it's thing, nothing??? Tried opening it as a second personal file, nothing... looked at it within W/explorer and the other files and actually saw the old PST file size change from 256Mg to 265Kb, what the.... Deleted this version, copied another of that file across the network, renamed it and had another go, same thing. Ran "scanpst.exe" over the file to no avail. have tried a repair of Office with the office disk.......

anyone want to suggest what's happening and how i could have a go at repairing it, as i am stumped. The wife, well lets just say she isn't the understanding type:-(

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: corrupting pst files (XP Pro SP2 - Office 2003

Your old method was closer to the accepted method. Normally, simply opening the old PST in the new configuration, closing Outlook, deleting the new PST, and reopening Outlook is slightly simpler. It does seem that the ols PST is now completely corrupted. Have you tried running the Inbox Repair Tool? There are step by step instrucions in Help as to how to do this. HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: corrupting pst files (XP Pro SP2 - Office 2003

thankyou for the reply, "opening the old PST in the new configuration, closing Outlook, deleting the new PST, and reopening Outlook" yes it certainly is and will addopt that way in future. things have sorted themselves out to my releif. I am glad that I am paranoid about backing up things before i touch files, as i still had a copy of the file that was good. It's amazing what a nights sleep can do, incidently I had also tried the inbox repair tool, although I don't know what I was doing wrong that was causing the files to corrupt.

Thankyou for the answer
    Robert