New Lounger
    Thanks

USB ports died (WinXP Sp1)

Thanks in advance for any help I might recieve. I know very little about computers, but rely heavily on them for my work. I was referred to this site as a possible source for help with my computer problem, and am praying that someone might be able to assist.
    Running a Micron PC Clientpro PC, Win XP Home. Had been using the USB ports for a flash drive, digital dictation device, and a digital camera, all without problems. Yesterday, I tried to download from the dictation device, and the screen went blank - computer locked up - had to do a hard restart.
    Now, it doesn't recognize any of the USB ports. Device Manager thinks they're there, but if I plug something in, it comes up as an Unrecognized Device. I've stepped back through the restore points in WinXp, went into the BIOS and made sure that USB was enabled, started from Safe Mode and deleted the USB hubs, then restarted; and even did a Windows XP Repair - still doesn't see anything I plug into the USB ports. Micron support says my next step is a full disk format, repartition and WINXP install, and if the USB ports don't work then, they'll send me a new motherboard.
    Is there any hope?
    Can I possibly avoid the dreaded Windows re-install?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Best regards, -John-

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: USB ports died (WinXP Sp1)

John,

Welcome to the lounge.

From your description it seems that you have covered most of the obvious options. One thing that might be worth trying is to get a USB keyboard and try to see if that can talk to the BIOS setup screen (you may have to change a BIOS setting called "Legacy Keyboard" or something similar to get this to work). If it does work then we know your USB hardware works and you must have a windows software problem. If we can't get the BIOS to talk to the USB ports then it may well be a faulty motherboard.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Manged to get it repaired. I installed a second hard drive, and re-installed WINXP on the new drive, and the ports worked again. Since I was then looking at having to do a full Windows re-install on the original hard drive to get it to work, I figured i had nothing to lose by playing around a bit, so I found all the drivers that started with "USB", and copied them from the new hard drive to the windows folders on the old hard drive. Swiched the drives back to make the old hard drive the master and the new dirve the slave, rebooted, and now the USB ports work fine....
    Don't know why this worked, when the Windows repair didn't, but at least I don't have to lose all the data on my main hard drive.
    Thanks for your assistance.
    Best regards,
    -John-

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Brilliant. Thanks for letting us know how you solved it.

StuartR