Lounger
    Thanks

Save settings from registry with a batch file (XP Pro)

We know how to save regular files from the OS with with a batch file, but how do you save settings from the registry like

HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentities{identity #}SoftwareMicrosoftOutlook Express5.0

using a batch file so this process can be automated on a regular basis?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 889 Posts

Re: Save settings from registry with a batch file (XP Pro)

Start a console window. Then enter "REG /?" without the quotation marks for options.

Joe
    Joe

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save settings from registry with a batch file

You can certainly do it using REG EXPORT, but why not try an OE-specific backup program such as Majik's Outlook Express Quick Backup? For me, this backs up about 25 kB-worth of assorted REG keys and values, plus all the OE files/databases...

John
    <font face="Script MT Bold"><font color=blue><big><big>John</big></big></font color=blue></font face=script>

Ita, esto, quidcumque...

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Save settings from registry with a batch file (XP Pro)

Okay...I got it figured out.

For those interested, the line I needed to add to my batch file was:

regedt32.exe /e "Cocuments and SettingsChuckMy DocumentsOEbackup.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentities{50821E75-E91E-3778-9EE8-7A9F5B90GFD6}SoftwareMicrosoftOutlook Express5.0"

'regedt32.exe' opens the registry and finds the key, the 'e' switch exports it to a location I designate, in the is case 'My Documents', with a name I created, 'OEbackup.reg'.

What I did wrong was not was not know it was exporting to a default location (C:WindowsSystem32) unless I designated like I did and thus was not copying it. The other thing was that I was trying to export it last instead of first, so the exported key was never being copied. I told it to be exported first, copied to 'My Documents', then to the ZIP - works great!

The final result is this:

<code>@echo off

rem This deletes the previous backup archive

del C:backup.zip

rem This exports registry key mail settings, rules,
    rem sigs to 'My Documents' to be copied

regedt32.exe /e "Cocuments and SettingsChuckMy DocumentsOEbackup.reg" "HKEY_CURRENT_USERIdentities{50821E75-E91E-3778-9EE8-7A9F5B90GFD6}SoftwareMicrosoftOutlook Express5.0"

rem This copies the files in the paths to a zip folder on the root drive

c:zip -9r C:backup.zip "Cocuments and SettingsChuckApplication DataAvant Browser" "Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataSpybot - Search & Destroy" "Cocuments and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataSymantec" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckApplication DataSymantecShared" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckApplication DataMicrosoftAddress Book" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckLocal SettingsApplication DataIdentities{50821E75-E91E-3778-9EE8-7A9F5B90GFD6}MicrosoftOutlook Express" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckFavorites" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckDesktop" "Cocuments and SettingsChuckMy Documents" "C:WINDOWSsystem32driversetc"

rem end</code>