New Lounger
    Thanks

Graphs - proportional X axis dateline (Excel 2003)

I have this spreadsheet that I run some graphs off of. I will attach a Sample graph so you can see what I have to work with.

What is happening, is people are not paying attention to the information box off to the right which contains all the info, or to the X Axis labels. They are just looking at the graph and how the lines ramp up gradually. But as you can see by the Info box, sometimes there are several programs that all start on the same date. But people don't notice that - they just see a gradual ramp-up on the graph itself and fail to notice that the Info or the axis labels show, for instance, items #12-14 all start production on the same date, 6/1/06. Which affects capacity issues and planning decisions.

Is there any way to have a graph show a calendar timeline proportionally? Like, for those above programs #12-14, have the graph just line-chart the total of those programs that all have the same SOP date, and then maybe on that vertical jump be able to list out the individual programs and/or their individual volumes?

I told the guy who wants this that I didn't think it was possible, but he wanted me to check anyway. I'd like to tell him to just make sure his people PAY ATTENTION to the information... LOL.

Any other suggestions to show the info the way he wants it would be welcome. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Graphs - proportional X axis dateline (Excel 2003)

You'd have to change the chart to an XY scatter chart with X values in R3:R19. Combining an XY scatter chart with column charts doesn't work very well, so you should either omit the non-cumulative data, or plot them as scatter charts too, with missing values displayed as zeros (setting in Tools | Options.., Chart)

By the way, the workbook you attached has a lot of #REF values.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Oops - I forgot to update those values after I deleted some of the lines over there so the filesize was under 100K. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    Here's a new attachment.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a version with a scatter chart. It may not be to your liking...