Thread: Bundles

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bundles

In the now locked thread "Homemade Computer", it was menttioned that MWAVE had "bundles".

My first reaction was that a bundle would have a lower price than purchasing the individual items separately.
    However, I just visited the MWAV site and saw that the bundles do not seem to offer any discount over buying the items separately.

Is that so, or is there a "bundles" page I missed?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bundles

That apears to be correct. I think it's just a convenince feature that helps you pick the apropriate matching CPU & Ram

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Bundles

The advantage to MWave's bundle is not really in price - although if you check you will see it is a few (like 5!) less in a bundle - so not really worth it, for sure, in terms of cost.

However, the advantages far out weigh the cost factor, IMO.

1. MWave's bundles include RAM - most bundles are CPU and motherboard only.
    2. For only $9 extra, MWave will install the RAM and CPU on the motherboard and test the whole bundle - this to me is a tremendous deal - not the assembly, that's nothing, but in terms of peace of mind - not only do you know your RAM, CPU and Motherboard all work, but, and sometimes more importantly, you know they work together!

So, unless you are building several PCs, where the $9 assembly/testing fees add up, you may consider MWave's offerings.

Note - although I often buy their bundles, I always pull the CPU's heatsink and remount it with a better thermal paste - that has nothing to do with MWave - just my preference to not use OEM heatsink fan thermal pads.

I have purchased many bundles from MWave and have only had one problem and that was with my most recent purchase last month. I bought two identical MSI bundles - the assembler plugged the CPU fan leads into the Case Fan headers - on these boards, they are next to each other - minor mistake that, had I not pulled the CPUs to re-paste, I might not have noticed - that is until the BIOS warning beeps instilled instant panic - with me thinking the CPU fan was dead and I got 2 seconds to shutdown before thermal meltdown! Of course, the fans would still be working fine but that might take minute to sink in.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────