Thanks

Interlaced Documents (XP 2002)

Hi All - I'm wondering if you can help me. Here is the situation ... I have a report that, when it is all put together, is about 100 pages long. The first 40ish pages are word with linked tables from excel. I then have some pages / exhibits (about 10) that are printed from excel and manually put after the first 40 pages. Then there are some more word pages for appendix interlaced with exhibits from excel. This <post#=329063>post 329063</post#> helped with a macro (checks to see if this page should be printed and then prints it if TRUE - 1 page at time) that allows me to put in place holders for the exhibits (so that the page numbers are correct and the TOC is right) and not print those place markers. However, now I want to be able to print the whole lot to PDF.

I think that the print 1 page at a time method just will not work with PDF. Ideally, what I need to do is insert the exhibits (I typically use linked pictures) into the word document (these pages are landscape (report is portrait) and should cover the whole page (ie no room for word's header, footer, margins). Can I do that?

Is there another way. Let me know if I have garbled my description and I'll try to give you some more details.
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Interlaced Documents (XP 2002)

> Is there another way.

If I had to do this then I would print it as separate pages, using the method that already works, and then use Acrobat software to stitch the pages together.

StuartR

Thanks

Yes, that should work. however, when it is printing the word doc using the macro, each page is 1 print job. Doesn't that imply each page is also its own pdf file? Is there a way of automatically appending pages to a pdf or of automatically telling the system to generate pdf file names?
    (Location Australia, then UK, but now USA. Heart, outlook, attitude, etc always Australian)
    Quote: "All Happiness is the release of internal pressure"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Woops, I forgot that detail. I don't know how to automate Acrobat file creation, but I guess it must be possible because PDFMAKER.DOT does it.

StuartR

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Is this a recurrent task? It can certainly be done by automating Acrobat from VBA but it is going to be labour intensive to create the code to do it so it is not worth doing for a one-off event.

I have created macros in the past to create imposed documents for booklets. This relied on producing eps files out of Word and then reimporting them into a Word document in the correct page order and then outputting to Acrobat. You could follow the same path to output the required Word and Excel pages to eps and then stitch them together in a Word document before creating the pdf file.

Alternatively you can do it by creating multiple pdf files and then using Acrobat JavaScripting to merge the files in the order you like. You will find the code to do this in the Acrobat JavaScript Reference Reference.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia