4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Disabling Outgoing Read Receipts (2003 SP1)

If somebody sends me a message with a read receipt requested (CW w/ Exchange Server), is there any way for me to read the message without firing off the read receipt to the sender? I'd like to be able to open the message (not just preview it in the reading pane or the autopreview) without sending the read receipt. Since it is a read receipt request, it seems like there ought to be a way to deny the request...

Thanks

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Disabling Outgoing Read Receipts (2003 SP1)

There have been a number of threads on disabling Read Receipts in this Forum - particularly in relation to Spam. (A Read Receipt confrims the validity of your address to a Spammer.) These solutions tend to require VBA coding. Have you searched on the Outlook Board for this?
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did do a quick search and didn't find anything that quite fit my question. Knowing now that there is something out there, I'll look a little more carefully.

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Never mind... After digging around in the Lounge, I found the keyword which got me to the right place in Outlook Help...

It's in the Outlook Options (Tools menu...Options menu item...Preferences tab...E-Mail Options button...Tracking options button... bottom third of the dialog) -- choose "Never send a response".

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I was remembering the problem in <post#=380627>post 380627</post#> - although this may have been comprehensively fixed in Outlook 2003. As it happens, the solution proposed in <post#=380793>post 380793</post#> doesn't seem to have resulted in any actual code on the Lounge. Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unkamunka,

I think you were one step ahead of me. I hadn't even found the place to tell Outlook to "Never Send A Response" when I posted my original message. Your response got me looking harder (and I found it). From the links you provided below, it sounds like there has been a problem with this option not always working although, as you say, it may have been fixed in Outlook 2003. Nonetheless, it's good to know there has been (and may still be) this problem.

Thanks for your help!