New Lounger
    Thanks

Calculated Date (Word 2000)

Hi, first time on the board. If done alot of reading on the net on stuff by Charles Kenyon. Found my way to this board!

I'm trying to do something, as simply as possible:

I need to insert a date field into word that will always show todays date plus 3 days. Nothing else, nothing fancy.

How can I do this? I've tried copying and pasting numerous, very long field codes and nothing happens. Also, I can't use macros.

Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Calculated Date (Word 2000)

Welcome to the lounge

<post#=249902>post 249902</post#> has a word document with lots and lots of example date calculations.

The example near the foot of page 6 shows how to calculate a date 301 days after today, just turn on field codes and edit the field to replace the 301 with 3. (I can't easily copy the field to this post because it has a LARGE number of nested fields to achieve its magic).

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks StuartR! I changed the 301 in the 2nd line: Set Delay 301 to Set Delay 3. It definitely made a difference but doesnt appear to be right. The date now says Monday May 2 2005 -- 3 months instead of 3 days. What else can I change? Almost there!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Your profile doesn't say where you live, but I guess it may be the USA.

Read the part near the beginning of the document which says...

[i]Many date fields in this document are region-dependent and are coded to work on systems that are configured to display dates formatted as

New Lounger
    Thanks

hmmmm. i tried it out and it made it worse actually. i'm in the US - east coast. Philadelphia. I changed the format and it didnt work, made it something like october. at least the other way it was consistent. making it a 1 cuased the date to advance 1 month, a 3 - 3 months, etc. Then when i get too high it goes crazy. i have a feeling its something to do with the calculation for "Set JD" where it abcd with the delay value.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately this works perfectly for me, but I have my computers set to European date formats. Hang on whilst I set my regional settings to US format...

...pause a while...

Seems to work for me, try the field in the attached document. If this doesn't work for you then could you please post a description of your problem as a reply to <post#=432773>post 432773</post#>, that will alert <!profile=macropod>macropod<!/profile> who posted the document with date fields.

regards,

StuartR
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

hey, that seems to work! let me insert the code directly into my document. It also seems to be alot simpler.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hey StuartR - this worked!!!! Dont know what you did but I think its good to go! Thanks so much.

Off topic - since this forum was of such great help to me, how can I help out? I have extensive knowledge in MS Excel. Maybe just lurk around the Excel forum and help out?

Bheron

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> since this forum was of such great help to me, how can I help out?
    > I have extensive knowledge in MS Excel.
    > Maybe just lurk around the Excel forum and help out?

Sounds good. That's exactly how I got hooked on the lounge, friendly people who helped me out when I was stuck - and I felt a need to repay.

StuartR