New Lounger
    Thanks

Resource Free/Busy updates slowly (Outlook 2003/Exchange 5.5)

I was testing Outlook 2003 with Exchange 5.5 (with update allowing Outlook 2003 usage) in doing a global scheduling of all resources across one of our regions. This entails about 80 resources, and resources are set to automatically accept meeting requests. In reviewing the meeting request several hours later in Outlook 2003, I noticed that most of the resources were showing up as free.

I looked at the calendars for the resources involved and on the day and time of the scheduled meeting, the resource showed the actual appointment in the correct manner

I then went to another machine and signed in with the same profile as I have with Outlook 2003, using Outlook 2000 instead. I set up the same resources for a meeting 90 minutes earlier than the previous appointment. When looking up the resources, the meeting 90 minutes later had the same 15 of 89 resources showing up as busy. I scheduled the next meeting in Outlook 2000, and within a minute, the free/busy for the appointment showed as it should. Also, the free/busy for the meeting 90 minutes later changed to busy as should have happened several hours earlier.

My last thing to do was to review the meeting in question in Outlook 2003, and it showed up correctly.

Any ideas? I am confused in this matter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resource Free/Busy updates slowly (Outlook 200

This is probably a thread that belongs on the Servers Board, but anyway....

Outlook 2003 is specifically designed to work with Exchange 2003, as for that matter Outlook 2000 is for Exchange 2000. My understanding is that with SP4 installed Exchange 5.5 will function reasonably well with Outlook 2000. Exchange 2003, however, is far more tightly integrated with Active Directory. Have you any idea as to whether "the 15 resources" were running a different version of Outlook - and, if so, which?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Resource Free/Busy updates slowly (Outlook 200

Thanks for your help in this matter. What I did notice is that the resources that are showing up correctly have most likely been used again for another appointment since the time of my scheduling, given that the resources that are showing correctly are more heavily used. I am one of the testers for Outlook 2003 but the people who scheduled these resources would have had Outlook 2000. Also, given this situation, I opened up one of the resources incorrectly marked as free using the /cleanfreebusy switch. Next time I looked at the appointment, the resource in question was correctly shown as busy. Appears you can schedule the appointment in Outlook 2003 but the time of the appointment will not be changed to busy until someone schedules an appointment using Outlook 2000.

Thanks for your help on this one.