New Lounger
    Thanks

Contacts to appear in OAB - check box grayed out (2003)

Hi folks- I'm installing OL2k3 (tho I've seen this in the past). When I'm done with the installation, and I go into Outlook, right-click on Contacts, select Properties and select the Outlook Address Book tab, the check box is grayed out. I'm stumped - any thoughts?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts to appear in OAB - check box grayed o

What happens when you go to Tools|Options|Mail Setup? Are you able to set it up there? HTH
    Gre

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts to appear in OAB - check box grayed out (2003)

If Tools, Email Accounts, View or Change Address Books, Other Address Books doesn't do it, we have to go to the MAIL control panel outside of Outlook and do most of these steps. I think it is because our office doesn't use PST, but instead keep everything on the Exchange server.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Contacts to appear in OAB - check box grayed out (2003)

thanks everyone for your replies.

I discovered that the OAB service wasn't loaded, once I loaded it I was able to check the box and get contacts to show up in the address book.

However, here's my follow-on conundrum - there seems to be no consistency in whether or not we have to do this. For example, in the vmware tests I'm doing (so, my baseline is exactly the same each test), if I do the install via an admin share I have setup, the service gets added, box is available to be checked. If I use the same files, MST, OPS, PRF, doing a compressed CD image install, the service doesn't get loaded, therefore box is grayed out. BUT (my favorite part), I have another workstation where I did an admin share install (an earlier version of the test) and the service didn't get added there either. Inconsistency is the only consistency.

In any event, we have hundreds of users to deploy this to and I'm looking for some automation of this part (getting the OAB service loaded and getting the Contacts add to OAB box checked). Any feedback along those lines is most appreciated.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is your baseline entirely consistent? That is: are all your target machines in exactly the same OU with identical Policies?
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

yeah, using a vmware with a snapshot that I revert to, same user id, so anything that's out there, computer or user based, is going to be the same (and I don't believe there's anything office-related out there, but that's beside the point).

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

What add-ins do you have running on your machine(s)? HTH
    Gre