Lounger
    Thanks

Printing handouts without PPT (2000 - 2003)

I post PPT presentations on my course website for my students. Students without PPT can use the PPT viewer to view the presentation, and to print each and every slide. However, they are not able to print multiple slides per page "handouts" or to choose which slides to print. I realize that making this option available in the viewer would probably decrease sales for MS, but does anyone have a solution? (sending to Word doesn't work - the file gets too big)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing handouts without PPT (2000 - 2003)

Is using Adobe Acrobat an option for you? If so, you could post two additional PDF files with the PPT file, one containing the slides at full size and the other with the "handouts" format. Admittedly you have to decide how many slides per page but in the process you save a few trees!!

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Could you save the file as a jpg (File>Save As>Save as Type choose jpg, tif, bmp, or whatever suits your purpose)? Powerpoint will then save each slide as a separate file in a new directory for you.

This may also solve the problem of not being able to print multiple slides per page as several photo editing packages, XPs built in image viewer, etc have the ability to print more than one image per page. In fact, most printers can let you choose to print more than one sheet per page, though admittedly this doesn't exactly mirror the "notes view" of Powerpoint.

I took a ppt presentation I had that was 3.7 MB and saving as jpg knocked it down to 337 KB, so the file size problem should definitely be addressed.

Lounger
    Thanks

Unfortunately I don't have Adobe Acrobat - so making PDF's isn't an option right now.

Saving each slide as a .jpg or .bmp increased the size almost by 3 times. Some of my PPT's are already 2MB with the images compressed. I'd have to zip them so that they wouldn't have to download 20+ pictures. Also my students have such a variety of different computers that it might not be that easy for them to unzip or print the images. I also noticed that XP was printing them in reversed order (#1 on the bottom left of the page).

So I guess that other than Adobe, there isn't a inexpensive way to save and allow them to print multiple slides per page... sigh.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

There are several cheap / free alternatives for Adobe Acrobat - see the link in <post#=446949>post 446949</post#>. A search for pdf freeware here in the Lounge or in Google will turn up more.

pdf 995 is popular with Loungers.

Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the pdf 995 and I think that's going to do the trick - Thanks!