New Lounger
    Thanks

Networking Problem

I'm trying to network 4 computers all using Windows XP. Computers 1, 2, and 3 are connected by cable to a netgear wireless B router while computer 4 is connected via a netgear USB wireless card. Computers 1, 2 and 3 have no problem with the internet or networking with each other but they cannot see the wireless computer and the wireless computer can't see anything but the internet. The wireless system, computer 4, is using 64 bit WEP encryption and is close enough to the router/transmitter to have a strong signal. I've turned off the XP and Symantec firewalls on number 4 so there is no firewall operating. Computers 1, 2 and 3 have Zone Alarm firewalls and I've tried turning them off with no success. I've tried the XP networking wizard on all the machines. Anyone have any suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Networking Problem

I strongly suspect that this is caused by firewalls. We have had reports of similar symptoms where Zone Alarm was still active even though the user thought it was turned off.

As an experiment can you temporarily DISCONNECT your internet connection and then turn off all firewalls at the same time. Make sure that every single firewall has been turned off on all computers. Then try again.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

StuartR,
    You are correct. I had turned off both Symantec and XPs firewalls with no success initially but after rebooting everything worked. I do have Zone Alarm on machines 1,2 and 3 with an IP range and there is no interference. I'm going to try ZA on machine 4 and see what happens. Thanks for your rapid response - I really appreciate it.
    aldago

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Alzie - please note that even Microsoft states to disable Windows Firewall when using a third party firewall - note this, the 15th Q/A, pulled from the Microsoft Firewall FAQ Page

<font color=4682b4>Q. Should I use both the built-in firewall and a software firewall from a different company on my Windows XP computer?
    A. No. Running multiple software firewalls is unnecessary for typical home computers, home networking, and small-business networking scenarios. <font color=blue>Using two firewalls on the same connection could cause issues with connectivity to the Internet or other unexpected behavior.</font color=blue> One firewall, whether it is the Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall or a different software firewall, can provide substantial protection for your computer.</font color=4682b4>

Since Windows Firewall (Internet Connection Firewall [ICF] in SP1) only blocks incoming access attempts - making it totally worthless for blocking Trojans, dialers, spyware and other malware from propagating or "calling home" with your credit card numbers, passwords, surfing habits, etc., I strongly recommend you, and everyone else, use only ZoneAlarm, Sygate, Kerio, or virtually "any" other firewall, and disable Windows' half-baked version.

A small addendum in support of WFW - the ONLY time Windows Firewall is worthwhile is during XPSP2 installs as WFW does install early in the boot sequence thereby offering incoming access protection before your 3rd party firewall can be installed. This is important as the XP install process searches for and establishes an Internet connection if possible - and as soon as you connect, you are vulnerable.
    Bill (AFE7Ret)
    Freedom is NOT Free!
    Heat is the bane of all electronics!

─────────────────────