4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Mailbox size (Exchange 2000)

Dear loungers,

Are there good articles descibing how the mailbox size is calculated and how to housekeep such that old mail can be easily retrived but the exchange mailbox limits are not blown?

liz

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mailbox size (Exchange 2000)

The server side mailbox capacity limit is set by your organization's server administration, usually after considering total server filespace demands. With Exchange and Outlook, users are advised to create a Personal Storage Folder (PST) to retain messages and items they want to keep on a long-term basis, rather than leave them on the Exchange Server, however some organizations adopt the opposite policy, asking users to keep everything in Exchange, usually for backup reasons. There are some threads in this Forum that discuss strategies for keeping an individual user's server-side mailbox within the limit, if you are interested.

Does this help?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Do you not have a right-click option on your mailbox telling you what the current size is? HTH
    Gre

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

unkamunka, in my business installation of Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003 (?) the right-click, Properties dialogs tell how much server space I'm using but don't appear to tell me the limit.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7DS

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

We're on the same page, I think. The sense I got from the OP was that she knows what her limit is, but she wants a better handle on tracking it.

"Out of the box" warning messages from the server can tell you what percent of capacity you have reached, but such messages have to be configured by the Admins - inclusive of telling what your ceiling is. Disclosing limits may not be popular as certain departments may be allowed higher limits than others for good commercial reasons (that may be unpopular personally).
    Gre

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

John,

thank you. I know the basic pribciples but am no expert. the reason for the inquiryy is that the organosatioan I am currently working with doesn't operate quotas or any formal control. I want to suggest something but need a little more information for it to be sueful to them - as theirs is limited.

To clarify can you tell me what is included in the mailbox size ca;lculation - is it all folders only those in In-Box does it include the deleted folder?
    Am I right that a PST file would be created by performing an Archive? and that they can specify where that file is, so it could be on the network? is there any other way of creating a PST file (when using Exchaneg)

thank you, liz

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is from the Outlook 2002 help; I suppose it's similar in Outlook 2000:
    <hr>Create a new data file and move or copy items to it
    1. <LI>On the File menu, point to New, and then click Outlook Data File.
      <LI>Under Types of storage , click Personal Folders file (.pst) and then click OK.
      <LI>In the File name box, type a name for the file, or leave the default, and then click OK.
      <LI>In the Name box, type a display name for the .pst folder, or leave the default.
      <LI>Select any other options you want, and then click OK. (If you are creating a .pst file, you can add a password of up to 15 characters. If you select the Save this password in your password list check box, make a note of the password in case you need to open the .pst on another computer.)
      The name of the folder associated with the data file appears in the Folder List. To view the Folder List, from the View menu, click Folder List. By default, the folder will be called Personal Folders .
      <LI>Drag any item from your current folders to the new folder. Press CTRL while dragging to copy items instead of moving them.
    <hr>
    In step 3 you can specify the location of the .pst file; this can be a network folder. The personal folders file you create here will not be filled automatically; you must move items from your Outlook Today folders manually. You can also set items to be archived automatically: select Tools | Options..., activate the Other tab and click AutoArchive...

Thanks

Hi Liz,
    If you look at the Folder List in Outlook, everything that appears under "Mailbox - Username" would be included - that includes both Deleted and Sent Items. In fact, it's pretty much everything but Public and Personal Folders.
    Hope that helps.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel