Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Dialling voice calls (2003 SP1)

I have a modem connected to a phone line, on which I also have a standard telephone.

If I want to use the phone to call someone in my contacts folder then I can look up the contact and there is button that will dial the phone for me, allowing me to select any of the numbers I have stored for them. This is really useful (especially in conjunction with a hands free speakerphone).

I also need to phone lots of people at work, and their numbers are not stored in my contacts folder, but in an Exchange address book. Is there anyway I can get Outlook to dial these numbers for me?

I don't want to add these names to my contacts, as this would cause problems if their email addresses ever change, so if Outlook can't do what I want I guess the only alternative would be a different application - any suggestions.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dialling voice calls (2003 SP1)

Why does it not make sense to put the work Contacts into a different/ring-fenced folder? Could you not also use the Outlook Synchronisation feature for the Work Address Book? HTH
    Gre

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The work contacts are currently stored in Active Directory and accessed via the Exchange server (and an "offline address book"). I don't know any easy way of copying these to contacts, and if I did then I might continue to use an out of date address if one of them was changed on the server side.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Is not the Offline Address Book synchronised (or able to be synchronised <g>) each time you go offline? It has been a long time since I did Outlook coding, but it seems it could be possible to loop through the addresses in the Offline Address Book and use them to update a specified folder of Contact items. On that basis, you should be able to (remember to ) update the work Contacts folder by code each time you go offline. Maybe one of our active Outlook coders could come up with something?
    Gre

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure I want all 50,000 addresses in the Address book copied to a contacts folder. I guess someone much cleverer than I could produce some code that would look for matches to the entries in a contacts folder and check for changes to those entries.

What would be best is an add-in that would dial any number in the address book, but I guess that's not available.

StuartR

Edited to add In case I haven't made it clear, I have access to the address book when I am offline, but the dialler only seems to like entries in a contacts folder, not ones in the address book.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I have come up with a solution of sorts.

Each Outlook address book entry has an "Add to contacts" button. Clicking on this creates a contact entry for the record, which has a button to dial the phone number. Having dialled I can then close the new contact without saving it.

It's silly but it works.

StuartR

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

If M$ software were really sensible, then we wouldn't have so much fun hanging around here, would we?
    Gre