Lounger
    Thanks

Save As and keep old doc in memory - Word (XP)

I have noticed that whenever I save a document as a new document, the old document is not in memory anymore. I can open it but it seems in older versions of Word that when I Saved As.. it kept the old and the new documents in memory. Is this the way XP works and if so is there a setting to change it? Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Save As and keep old doc in memory - Word (XP)

Are you sure that it used to do that? I have used every version of Word for Windows from 2.0 through to 2003 and I don't recall that. The way it works for me is that if I open a document called, say Letter01.doc modify it a bit and save as Letter02.doc, the one open document is now letter02.doc. I can still open the old version of course and it will be there on the recently opened file list, but as far as I know that is the way it has always worked.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

Actually, I am not sure. A fellow employee that works with me swears that it used to work like that but I am not sure. Do you think it makes any difference if it was a Word doc or an Excel worksheet. I would think they would all work the same. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

My experience is the same as Ian's: when you save a Word document under another name, the document with the new name is in memory, the one with the original name isn't. The same holds for Excel workbooks.

Thanks

I think Excel works the same way. The only program I know that doesn't (annoyingly, because it always catches me out) is Microsoft Office Picture Manager (part of Office 2003). In that, if you do something to a picture and Save As, you are left still working in the original version, not the new one.

Ian

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I will rely this to the person but she swears it didn't used to work this way. If you find any different, let me know.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Photo Editor (the precursor of Microsoft Office Picture Manager in Office XP and before) acts that way too, but offhand I can't think of other applications that keep the original document in memory after a Save As.

Excel workbooks do have a SaveCopyAs method that leaves the original workbook in memory, but saves a copy under another name. This method is only available in VBA, however, it is not available from the built-in menus.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Maybe she used a macro that hijacked the SaveAs command with a macro that used SaveCopyAs?
    It's possible that someone else made this and she 'wasn't aware of that.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm, it would have to be custom code, since SaveCopyAs is not available in Word. But it's possible, I suppose.
    (And if it was in Excel, you can't hijack menu commands there the way you can in Word; you'd have to write an application-level event handler.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info. I had indeed the Word way of doing this things in mind. Didn't know that it doesn't work that way in Excel. Don't use Excel much.