Star Lounger
    Thanks

Synchronize between workstation and laptop (2003)

I recently upgraded to Office 2003 --- and really like all the new ease-of-use improvements to Outlook. So much so I'd like to repeat the various configuration choices I've made on my workstation to my laptop, specifically:

(1) Rules,
    (2) Favorites folders

I use my laptop as a back-up to my workstation and when I'm on the road ... but when I'm at work my workstation is my main machine ... at the end of each day in the office I copy my PST files from the workstation to the laptop ... but note that upon use of Outlook on the laptop that my Favorites folders are NOT the same as on the workstation --- and my Rules don't work.

Any clues as to what I need to do to synchronize those settings?

Thanks.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Synchronize between workstation and laptop (20

Try copying over outcmd.dat and Outlook.xml - both in something like Cocuments and Settings[username]Application DataMicrosoftOutlook - for your "Favorites".

As for your Rules, I believe that they're stored in the PST file itself. This may mean that - somewhere or other - you may have a rule that relies on some kind of office network configuration which could be disrupting the "transferability" of all the other Rules.

HTH
    Gre

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Synchronize between workstation and laptop (20

Thanks --- unfortunately didn't work ... partly because my Profiles are named differently on the two machines. My Workstation has the default profile of "Outlook" and a special one I created called "No Email"). Whereas my laptop has 5 different flavors of profiles (No Email, LAN-Email, LAN-Email (work only), Remote-Email, Remote-Email (work only)) --- all specifically designed to match up with whatever type of network connection I have at the time.

So I tried all different combinations to no avail (e.g., copying Outlook.xml to the laptop, renaming LAN-Email.xml to *.old, then renaming Outlook.xml to LAN-Email.xml, etc.).

Part of the problem might be that my laptop's installation of Office 2003 was on top of Office 2000 --- whereas my workstation's installation was clean (after a recent hard disk crash).

Thanks for the suggestion anyway --- at least in the process I found out that I really didn't need all the verious *.RWZ, *.FAV, *.NICK files that were leftovers from Outlook 2000 on my laptop ...

TTFN