2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Drop down list arrow (2003)

Hi there. I am hoping someone can help me here.
    I have created a form with a drop down list field. For some reason the field will not display the drop down arrow which would enable me to make a selection from that list. When I check the properties/field settings for that field the Enable Drop Down check box is checked.
    Anyone know where my problem might be?
    Thanks heaps.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Drop down list arrow (2003)

Have you protected your document for forms? The arrow won't appear if you're still in "form design mode"

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Stuart,
    Thanks for your response. That solved my problem.
    Another problem has arisen. Do you know why my form won't let me click out of a field and why the Forms toolbar is greyed out, with only the Protect/Unprotect button being available to use? No matter the status of this button, I still cannot click out of this field to modify the rest of the document.
    Thanks.

Bill

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

This is not a "problem" it is how word is designed. When you protect a section of a document for forms you can only change the Formfields, as specified by the person who designed the document.

You need to unprotect the document to make your changes, and then protect it again when you want to fill it in. If you need to have part of the document unprotected then you can set the protection for some sections only.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can divide your document into sections; you can specify which sections will be protected for forms. For forms, continuous section breaks are very handy. Place the insertion point where you want to begin a new section, select Insert | Break..., click Continuous and click OK.
    See <post#=432059>post 432059</post#> for a screenshot that shows how to specify which sections are protected in the Protect Document task pane. Only protect the section(s) containing form fields, leave the rest unprotected.