Zane

Formulas Displayed

I've run into a problem with formulas remaining displayed under a variety of conditions, referencing cells in worksheets in the same workbook, referencing cells in other workbooks, adding "if" statements to a formula, etc.

The only solution I have come up with so far is to delete the entire workbook and start again from scratch, crossing my fingers the entire time.

Any suggestions?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Formulas Displayed

I'm not sure if this is your problem, but sometimes I inadvertently hit 'Ctrl'+ ~ (usually to the left of the '1' key across the top of the keyboard - do not use the shift key) which toggles the display formulas mode.
    Hitting 'Ctrl'+ ~ again should toggle the display back to normal (or go through Tools>Options>View and uncheck 'Formulas'

HTH

Mark

Zane

No, that didn't do anything except expand the worksheet to be displayed completely across the screen. I'm suspecting some type of macro-bug.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Press Alt-F11 to open the VBE, view the Project Explorer if it isn't showing (Ctrl-R). If there are modules for this workbook, click + in the left-hand window to see if they contain code. Then click + for Excel Objects, and doubleclick "ThisWorkbook" to see if there's any Workbook-level code. Finally doubleclick each sheet you are using to see if there's any Sheet-level code. Close VBE with the upper left "x".

If negative for all these, post it here.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Does this happen in all your workbooks or just some or one in particular. ? Also are all cells affected, or do any formulae show results. And excuse me for asking but have the = sign in front of all the formulae ?

Andrew C

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Forgot the obvious; check Tools, Options, View, make sure Formulas isn't checked.
    UTC -7ąDS

Zane

Negative results on both suggestions (no code for workbook or individual sheets, formulas un-checked in Tools, Options)

What next?

Zane

I've noticed this problem only 2 or 3 times on different workbooks.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Zane, it might be helpful if you could upload a file exhibiting this behaviour. It need not contain any data, just a formula misbehaving.

Andrew C

Zane

Here's the workbook...the problem is on the second (copied) sheet. I've noticed the same type of problems using "vlookup" command as well.

At this point I'm going to ask something simple--is this a problem with the referencing of merged cells or the copy sheet function?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Sheet "Page 1 (2)" formula in merged cell D17 is formatted as text. Format it as general or currency or number, then press F2, Enter.
    UTC -7ąDS

Lounger
    Thanks

The problem appears to be that the cells with the formulas are formatted as 'Text', they should be formatted as 'General' even if they are linking to a text cell.

If the cell is formatted as 'Text', and you already have a formula in the cell, changing the format to 'General' won't automatically fix the problem. You'll need to highlight the cell, the press the 'F2' key, then hit enter to correct the formula.

HTH

Mark

Zane

Seems to work fine on the first couple of cells, Thanks.

Any more difficulties will be posted as found.

Thanks Again