2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cross-reference needs to be colon-free (2000/SR1)

I have an appendix heading that is number-formatted (using Heading 6) with a following colon (e.g. Appendix A: GUI Interface). In the main body I want a cross-reference to say "refer to Appendix A" without the colon, but Word insists on including it when I use a cross-reference to Heading. I noticed that if the heading numbering has a following period instead of a colon, Word will drop the period in the cross-reference. Is it possible to have Word drop the colon in the cross-reference? Manually deleting the colon won't suffice because it reappears when the field is updated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cross-reference needs to be colon-free (2000/SR1)

As far as I can see, there are no switches for the Ref or StyleRef fields that will suppress any trailing character other than a period. So I fear you're out of luck.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

How bizzarre, I had never noticed this before. I can't think of a solution or workaround, but thanks for sharing!

StuartR

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans & Stuart,
    I didn't see how it could be done either. I guess I could fake a colon after the word "Appendix" in the heading by using a little text box with a colon in it. On second thought, I think I'll just push for a colon-ectomy from the powers that be.