Lounger
    Thanks

Something keeps hopping on and off my task bar

It seems that about every 15 minutes a little application indicator keeps hopping on and then immediately off my task bar. It's like the one on my task bar right now which says "Woody's Watch ..." except this one never has any words, just a little icon consisting of a white rectangle. And unlike "Woody's Watch...", it doesn't stay there until I close the window (there is no window accompanying it), rather it leaves as quickly as it appeared. It doesn't interrupt what I'm doing in any way, but when I'm not using the computer it does take it off of screen saver mode before it gets to the point of turning off the screen, so the screen never turns off anymore. I don't know if this is something serious, or just some glitch I've suddenly got to put up with. Any ideas as to what this might be? And/or any ideas as to how I might track it down and figure out what it is?
    Thanks in advance.
    DeeJay

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Something keeps hopping on and off my task bar

Sounds like you're being invaded. Is your OS Windows XP, Pro or Home? Would you please hit the Print Screen key to get a shot of this monster on the task bar. It would be nice if you crop it down to a reasonable size, showing that area of the task bar. (I'm also intrigued because my task bar doesn't say Woody's Watch when I'm in The Lounge) The first thing to do is open the Task Manager and see what displays for Applications and Processes when this thing is present on the task bar.

Do you have an AV program running? Have you recently or ever run any spyware prevention or cleaning software such as AdAware or Spybot?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Something keeps hopping on and off my task bar

I've been busy following up on your advice and as a result have finally solved the problem. Here's what I did in case it might be helpful to someone with a similar problem: First I got Windows Task Manager running so I could watch it whenever this mystey visitor came flashing through. Nothing showed up on Applications, but when I watched the Processes category there was some definite action. The only problem was, the changes on the Processes screen only lasted a short time before turning back to normal. It wasn't enough time for me to really take a look at it and see what was really different. So then I used that Print Screen key you talked about, pressing it down when the changes occured and then pasting it onto a word document. Then I made another word document showing the Processes screen when things were running normally. Then I compared the two and saw activity in a couple of "HP....exe" processes. So I went into my Search program and saw that both of these files had been modified on 1/12/05 and I remembered doing an HP software update around about that time. So the culprit was an HP software update .... nothing malicious, yet at the same time bothersome to have it running through every 15 minutes like that. So I went into my System Restore program and set the system back to 1/11/05. And now everything is back to normal and my computer can rest when it's not being used.
    Thanks for your tips on checking things out on the Task Manager applications and processes. Also that Print Screen thing was really helpful. It sort of froze the action for me so I could give it a real look and analyze what what was changing.
    Regarding why my task bar shows "Woody's Watch" when I'm in the Lounge... I think it's because when I put this website on my "Favorites" I changed the default name to Wood's Watch so it would be easier for me to see it on the favorites bar and remember what it was.
    Again, thanks much for your advice. It worked!
    Have a great day