2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Opening 2000 or XP

Hi, I really need some help. I bought a laptop off of ebay and when I turn it on it says do you want to start windows 2000 or windows XP. The Windows XP does not seem to work, it ask for the CD. How can I get rid Windows XP so that only Windows 2000 will start? Also My floppy drive does not seem to work.
    Thanks for any help

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening 2000 or XP

I don't have much dual boot experience but it seems to me you need to do a little editing to the BOOT.INI file and if you're not "handy" with that kind of thing, you need to be careful. I think I would also be concerned if you bought a computer and didn't get the media for whatever operating system(s) are installed on it. There might (will?) come a time when that will be a major problem, like Windows Updates for example. Given that you ALSO say that the floppy drive doesn't work, I think you might need to contact the seller to check that out. Buyer Beware.

Thanks

Re: Opening 2000 or XP

Look at MSKB 311578: How To Edit the Boot.ini File in Windows 2000 for some guidance.

I would post the floppy-drive question as a separate post in Hardware, but we could do witha bit more background info than it simply 'does not seem to work'.