Thread: Pinball sound

karena

Pinball sound

[img]/w3timages/icons/hairy.gif[/img]<font color=008080>text</font color=008080>Ok I have had this problem for over a year, and cannot solve it. I love the pinball game that came with 95plus, so I install it over 98se. However, I cannot get the sounds to work. The music works, and sometimes the sound works on a new install, but then quits. Has anyone had and solved this one?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pinball sound

Same thing here.

Must be in the registry somewhere, I'll poke around and see what I can find.

karena

Never considered that. Oddly enough, I installed it recently on another machine, and I had sound effects until I installed a new Internet modem. Then when I rebooted, I had only the music.[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img] If that machine were here instead of Montreal, I'd take a good look at it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Alas, my registry mining came to naught.

In my case, the sounds vanished when I upgraded the motherboard, or maybe when I downloaded from windows update a theme from Plus! 98. That added P!98 theme handler to my start menu and probably mucked around the Plus! key in the registry.

Ah, well, it's just a game...

New Lounger
    Thanks

I found the solution! For the time being anyway [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

First, dig around on a Win98 CD for PINBALL.INF, you <font color=red>must</font color=red> use the one on CD. Furthermore, you'll probably need to edit the file, so copy it to a temp directory, remove the read-only attribute, and open it.

Near the beginning, there's a reference to PLUSPLAYT.INF, a file you may have multiple copies of. The one you want is on whichever CD Plus!95 is on. In my case, I had this stashed on a hard drive. But the path in PINBALL.INF must point to Plus!95 INF file! Got it? Do the edit, save, close, right-click/Install.

The install might stutter a bit, but if you point the install routine consistently to the Plus!95 cab files you'll get all the files but one...PINBALL2.MID. Music won't work but sounds will.[img]/w3timages/icons/love.gif[/img]

That's it!