New Lounger
    Thanks

Project - Howto - Task Complete

I am a new MS Project (98) user. What is the fastest way to mark a task complete? I have been double-clicking a task, typing "100%", clicking OK. There must be an easier way. Something like: Select a task, then click a "completed" icon; or press a control-key? Thanks in advance,

James Davis

jmdaviswa

Re: Project - Howto - Task Complete

Hello James,

I wonder if we are related?

Anyway, to your question...

Turn on the Tracking toolbar (Select View, Toolbars, Tracking). There are buttons on that toolbar to mark a task as 25%, 50%, 75%, and 100% complete with a single click. Just pick the task you want to set and click the appropriate button.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Nice! Just what I needed. Thank you.
    May I ask a followup question? MS Project 98 again.

I dutifully set up my first project with 65 tasks arranged in outline fashion, then linked the subtasks within each outline group, and typed in predecessors for the first subtask within each group (its predecessor would be the major task preceding it, e.g., I made the predecessor of task 3.1 equal to 2). With me?

1) My Project 98 Gantt Chart view shows Duration, Start-Date, End-Date, and Predecessors (among other fields). If a slippage occurs, I want to be able to update the start date of a task, and have the change ripple down through all subsequent tasks. How can this be done?

2) When I attempt to mark a task as complete, sometimes it shows only half a checkmark, even though the percentage complete is 100%. Also, the End-Date field is not updated (unless I manually change it). This behavior seems incorrect. What have I done wrong?

3) Sometimes when I attempt to mark a task as complete, I get an error that states Project cannot perform a calculation at this time due to a circular reference. I presume this error is related to linking tasks, and predecessors, but I don't know how to correct it. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the newbie questions.

James Davis

jmdaviswa

James,

When you entered your tasks did you enter explicit start dates and durations? Or, did you enter only the task and duration?

What you want is straightforward if you do the latter. Enter the task and duration only. Then link the tasks together to reflect the appropriate dependencies. The tasks will stretch them themselves out in time as required by the links. The start and finish dates will be updated automagically. If you change the start date of a task manually, thereby forcing the task to start on that date, all subsequent tasks that are linked to that task will automatically shift.

As a general rule, don't specify a date, start or finish, for a task unless the task MUST start or finish on that date. Manually entered dates thwart the advantage of using MS Project to adjust schedules automagically.

Hope this helps.