New Lounger
    Thanks

Moving normal.dot from Office 2000 to Office 2003 (Office 2003/SP1)

Hi there,

We are upgrading from Office 2000 to 2003. I have copied over all templates/macros etc and so far so good with testing. Within a new blank document, the footer area should contain fields for the page number, the date and also filename&path. In a new blank document I would expect to see 'document 1' as I do on my machine with Office 2000, however, on my machine with Office 2003 I see the filename and path of normal.dot. I'm sure there's a straightforward explanation, however, I have so much testing to do in so little time, I'm hoping someone will be able to help :-)

Many thanks

Violet

Thanks

Re: Moving normal.dot from Office 2000 to Office 2003 (Office 2003/SP1)

I have just experimented and put a filename field in the footer of my normal.dot. In normal.dot it shows as normal.dot.

When I create a new document, it also shows normal.dot in the footer. When I save the document as, say, Doc1.doc, it still says Normal.dot in the footer, but when I print preview, it shows as Doc1.doc because the field gets updated. I agree that this is different from what I am accustomed to happening with previous versions of Word, but it seems to be what Word 2003 does.

As to the path as well as the filename, that must depend on the field you have in the existing footer, though if you got only the filename with the same template under Word 2000, I would have expected to get only that now.

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Moving normal.dot from Office 2000 to Office 2003 (Office 2003/SP1)

Thanks Ian - I was beginning to think it was just me! I'm just resolving it by adding some vb to normal.dot to update the field when a new document is launched.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.