New Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2003 Message Threading (Outlook 2003 SP1)

I recently switched back to using Outlook from Mozilla Thunderbird after I purchased a new laptop and tested Outlook 2003. I'm happy with the search folders, which are a "must-have" for me. But I am disappointed with the message threading. It just doesn't work verywell. It looks like it threads just based off of the subject line. If there is a change to the subject the thread is broken. But upon closer examination it is not uncommon for a message with the *exact* same subject line text as that in a thread to be orphaned.

How exactly does Outlook 2003 determine which messages should be threaded? Can I set rules for threading? Any tricks, tweaks, or tips to make threading in Outlook 2003 perform more like Mozilla Thunderbird?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outlook 2003 Message Threading (Outlook 2003 S

Color-coding - once you drill down far enought to find it - is a vast improvement in Outlook. [bThat[/b] can reap substantial dividends. IMHO the design of the Outlook Data Store is such as to not make meaningful threading possible. For me, its absence is a price to be paid for using the program. HTH
    Gre

New Lounger
    Thanks

Can you give me an example of how you use color coding to organize your messages. I've never found color coding to be all that useful and certainly don't see how it would be an improvement over a functional threading capability.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Unlike Thunderbird, Outlook has an "unlimited" choice of colours for coding. (In practice, limits arise when trying to visually segregate.) If you have recurring topics that you want to group, you can set up colour groupings on that basis - by topic, by sender, by body, whatever. You need to look at Views|Arrange By|Current View|Define Views|Modify/New|Automatic Formatting|Add|Condition and then wade through the possibilities. It is probably not so granular as threading. OTOH you can find that people wander off topic. If you've got a work pattern that strongly supports threading - rather than sophisticated colour coding - you're probably going to find Outlook being a step back. HTH
    Gre