Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry messed up?

This is a 3-question post.
    One, when you talk about doing a write-over install, does that mean simply inserting a WIN 98-SE disk and letting it run?
    Two, when you talk about a "clean" boot, does that mean inserting a start-up disk, reformatting the hard drive, then inserting the WIN 98-SE disk and starting from scratch (then adding all of your programs and devices back on)?
    Three, are any of you familiar with a program called Mighty Max that supposedly scans your registry for errors and for $29 will fix it? Is it worthwhile?
    I think in my efforts to clean spyware off of my computer (a 5 year old Dell with Windows 98SE) something got deleted from the registry. Now whenever I try to launch MS Office toolbar, it locks up and the start button becomes unavailable. When I shut down the machine, I get an error box saying "this program is not responding...", but it does not identify the program - the title bar is blank, so I don't know what process/program is causing the problem. Any suggestions about fixing it? Thanks. Lana

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registry messed up?

For various methods of installing/re-installing Windows 98 see www.windowsreinstall.com

Clean booting is a method of cutting down the number of programs that run at startup - see How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98

Never heard of Mighty Max, hopefully somebody will be able to answer that part.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tony, Thanks for the links, I checked them out, but found the instructions (short versions) rather succinct. I decided I should try to delete and then reinstall Windows to see if that clears up the problem. What I don't understand, however, is the suggestion that you back up your Programs folder first (and another one, I can't remember which, maybe c:Windows?). Well, then it says to reinstall Windows. It doesn't go on to explain what to do then with the backup file(s) and/or how it helps you. In other words, after I have reinstalled Windows should I then open my Programs backup file and copy the contents and paste them into the new Programs file? Do them one at a time and test? Be sure not to write over anything already there (added with the new Windows installation)? Can you enlighten me about this? If so, I may give it a shot tonight. Thanks. Lana

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

When you re-install Windows the recommended procedure includes re-formatting the hard drive. As this will result in losing all data on the hard drive it is best to perform a full back-up first.

Once you have re-installed Windows you will need to re-install all the programs you want to use from the original installation disks. The back-up disks will be used to restore files such as documents back onto the computer. You can not just copy programs from the backup disks back onto the re-formatted drive as they will not work. One of the main reasons for doing a full back-up is programs tends to leave important files that you want to keep all over the place and if you have not done a full back-up first you may end up losing a file you want to keep.