Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry messed up?

This is a 3-question post.
    One, when you talk about doing a write-over install, does that mean simply inserting a WIN 98-SE disk and letting it run?
    Two, when you talk about a "clean" boot, does that mean inserting a start-up disk, reformatting the hard drive, then inserting the WIN 98-SE disk and starting from scratch (then adding all of your programs and devices back on)?
    Three, are any of you familiar with a program called Mighty Max that supposedly scans your registry for errors and for $29 will fix it? Is it worthwhile?
    I think in my efforts to clean spyware off of my computer (a 5 year old Dell with Windows 98SE) something got deleted from the registry. Now whenever I try to launch MS Office toolbar, it locks up and the start button becomes unavailable. When I shut down the machine, I get an error box saying "this program is not responding...", but it does not identify the program - the title bar is blank, so I don't know what process/program is causing the problem. Any suggestions about fixing it? Thanks. Lana

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registry messed up?

For various methods of installing/re-installing Windows 98 see www.windowsreinstall.com

Clean booting is a method of cutting down the number of programs that run at startup - see How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98

Never heard of Mighty Max, hopefully somebody will be able to answer that part.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Tony, Thanks for the links, I checked them out, but found the instructions (short versions) rather succinct. I decided I should try to delete and then reinstall Windows to see if that clears up the problem. What I don't understand, however, is the suggestion that you back up your Programs folder first (and another one, I can't remember which, maybe c:Windows?). Well, then it says to reinstall Windows. It doesn't go on to explain what to do then with the backup file(s) and/or how it helps you. In other words, after I have reinstalled Windows should I then open my Programs backup file and copy the contents and paste them into the new Programs file? Do them one at a time and test? Be sure not to write over anything already there (added with the new Windows installation)? Can you enlighten me about this? If so, I may give it a shot tonight. Thanks. Lana

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Hi

When you re-install Windows the recommended procedure includes re-formatting the hard drive. As this will result in losing all data on the hard drive it is best to perform a full back-up first.

Once you have re-installed Windows you will need to re-install all the programs you want to use from the original installation disks. The back-up disks will be used to restore files such as documents back onto the computer. You can not just copy programs from the backup disks back onto the re-formatted drive as they will not work. One of the main reasons for doing a full back-up is programs tends to leave important files that you want to keep all over the place and if you have not done a full back-up first you may end up losing a file you want to keep.