Hi, I've noticed this for a long time, and I've always wondered if there's a way to force the "Folder Replace" algorhythm to avoid copying over newer files, or at least to ask the user if he's sure he wants to do (i.e. how file copying works)?
For example, if I copy a folder from a location A to location B and there's a folder with the same name in location B, "Smart Folder Replace" kicks in - i.e. you'll get the message, "The folder already contains a folder named 'X'. If the files in the existing folder have the same name as the files in the folder you are moving, the'll be replaced." This means, of course, that while XP's file copying checks time stamps, XP's method of copying folders doesn't seem to take time stamps into account, possibly allowing you to overwrite a newer file.
Is there a way to change this behavior in Windows? Namely, to force the "Folder Replace" to behave as "File Replace" and actually ask you if you want to overwrite a newer file?! Most other OSes behave this way and I think early Windows also behaved this way. I am going to have to transfer a lot of files back and forth from different computers in the next few months and I don't want to accidentally lose information.

Thanks,
Alex