Silver Lounger
    Thanks

URL/file address

Hi All,

I believe the problem below is a general WIndows issue; also, I think it is independent of application even tho my context is Excel.

I am trying to associate a file location with a hyperlink. I added a shape (the bevel button but that doesn't matter) to a sheet in an excel template, added text, and now want to associate a hyperlink corresponding to another workbook (call it timecalc.xls) with the shape. The purpose of the workbook is to provide some extra functionality (a trivial time-calculation workbook) without any macros, userforms, etc. I also don't want to do this as an addin so that I don't have to change all the PCs at work (I'm not telling everyone to go to the Tools - Addins menu).

I know if timecalc.xls is in the same folder I'm working in, then the program will look there for whatever file name I provide for the file location (I do this quite often in powerpoint). But in this case, I want the file to reside on a network drive (it would be read-only).

I've tried entering numerous items for the file location:
    - just the file name but that doesn't work (you'll see why I even have this option in a moment)
    - the network path as N:TEMPLATESExcel Templatestimecalc.xls found by using the browse button (Look In in later versions) of the dialog where I identify the file
    - Nts3DatacadTEMPLATESExcel Templatestimecalc.xls, which is the address of the file when I use Win Explorer to find the file (I copy-paste the addr from Win Explorer into the Address of the dialog, so it's not a question of typing).

No matter what I try, opening a new file based on the template and clicking the shape results in a file not found message. In fact, in some cases (don't recall which of the 2nd and 3rd), when I go back to the template to see the path for the file, it's been changed back to a form of the 1st dash above.

I protected the worksheet in the template where the button is. I don't think I tried this without the sheet being protected but I couldn't see this as the problem.

Any ideas on what the right thin to fill in for the URL path for the file?

TIA

Fred

Thanks

Re: URL/file address

What version of Excel?
    I have a similar problem in that hyperlinks I create in Excel 2002 do not work after saving/opening, whereas those created in Excel 2000 do.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Open the workbook.
    Select File | Properties...
    Set the Hyperlink Base property to a valid path. It doesn't really matter much which path.
    Click OK.

This works for me (in Excel 2002) to prevent Excel from changing the path of the hyperlink to a relative path.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Leif,

Unfortunately, I am using Excel 2000. Sounds like a problem for me. But as I said in my post, I do this all the time with ppt. At least for the recent past. I don't recall if I had problems like these in ppt 2000. I'd say up to about 4-5 months ago, on one PC, I was running ppt 2000 and the linking to other files was working fine (except the file was in the same folder as the file linking from). I upgraded about 4-5 months to ppt 2003 but haven't tried linking to files in another folder in ppt.

Thanks.

Fred

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I'll give it a try. But do I only have to set the path in the template (easy) or every system that might use the template for a new file (bad)?

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you set the hyperlink base in a template, all workbooks created from the template will inherit it, so you should be OK (if setting the hyperlink base solves the problem for you).