Thanks

TUrning off the SP2 Firewall (Win/XP SP2)

I have a new Dell Inspirion 8600 laptop from work. It came with SP2 installed. And it has the SP2 firewall turned on. I am running ZAP, so want to turn the SP2 firewall off, but can't. The OFF button is grayed out. When logged onto the work network, it says in a note below the off button that "Windows firewall is using your domain settings". When not connected to the network, it says "Windows firewall is using your non-domain settings". Our IT administrator doesn't understand English very well and isn't particularly motivated nor savvy on anything that isn't completely stock.

I want to turn the Windows Firewall off. I have looked through GPEDIT.MSC and ran through the settings in X-Setup but can't find where these domain settings are that are controlling the firewall. Any help out here? There must be some way to turn this beast off!

Thanks

Re: TUrning off the SP2 Firewall (Win/XP SP2)

I solved the problem. Found an entry in services for the firewall and deactivated it.

This service seems to be also associated with ICS, so hope I don't need to use ICS at any time, otherwise will have to turn the Win Firewall back on. Sheese... Microsoft is a real pain in the @#$!%!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: TUrning off the SP2 Firewall (Win/XP SP2)

Do you have access to the policy Computer Configuration | Administrative templates | Windows Components | Security Center? Also, check Computer Configuration | Administrative templates | Network | Network Connections | Windows Firewall. The combination should allow you to control the firewall when you are logged in to the domain or not. See this: Windows Firewall for more information about boot time security and why you don't want to disable the service.

Joe
    Joe