2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Word Conversion from WordPerfect

I am having file conversion problems on one computer. I opened a file in WordPerfect 9.0 and saved it as a Word 2000, SR2 document. On my computer it works fine, I can view it and modify etc. a document that was saved in Word 97/2000 format from within WordPerfect9. I can't even open it from another computer with identical software loads nor can I open the file in WordPerfect and save in a Word 97/2000 format. In both instances we get a GPF error on opening. Any suggestions? We have already tried reloading the software using the repair option. Thanks much, Judy
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Word Conversion from WordPerfect

Instead of simply opening the file in Word, try opening a new Word document, then go to the Insert menu and choose File. Navigate to wherever your document is stored, select it and click on okay. We do tons of conversions from Word Perfect to Word, and this is the first step we take with every document. It takes the contents of the Word Perfect file and inserts them into a Word file. If you just open a Word Perfect document in Word, it's still essentially a Word Perfect document and odd things can happen - as you've seen. Here's a link for a great site on Word Perfect to Word conversions and fixing problem Word documents: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsystems.com/expert.htm>http://www.microsystems.com/expert.htm</A>

Lee Morgan

JustCallMeAl

Great idea. Insert the file into an already existing Word document.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your help. I had already done that, but we are still having problems. The user doesn't have time to let me play any more right now. So don't have a real answer yet. It really confuses me that it works fine either way, saving in Word format from WordPerfect or as you suggest copying on my computer. It just isn't successful on the users PC. Once I can sit down at her PC perhaps I will be able to figure out what is happening. Judy
    Thanks much, Judy Crawford

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: "I am having file conversion problems on one computer. I opened a file in WordPerfect 9.0 and saved it as a Word 2000, SR2 document."
    <font color=448800><font face="Georgia">Are you using a conversion program for your conversions or just opening the document and saving as Word2000? If you're not using a conversion program, the cleanest way to convert - IMO - is to save the file as "text only". Then go to Word, choose your template, insert the file. Hit Ctrl+Shift+A to make it "normal" text, then start applying styles.