Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mutiple Column Report (2003 SP1)

Open the subreport in design view.
    Select File | Page Setup...
    Activate the Columns tab.
    Set the Column Layout to Across, then Down.
    The "Down, then Across" setting won't work in a subreport.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

That gets everything on one page, but the Across-Then-Down option results in an undesirable layout. This is a report of participants in a training class. The class can have several sessions, on different days. The recordsource for the subreport is the CourseID, ParticipantID, DataAttended table; the recordsource for the parent report is the CourseID (and other course information) table. I want to show one date in each column (the date field appears in the group header on the subreport) and the participants appear in a list below the date (the detail section). This looks swell if I ignore the clipping problem in the page header, something like:

<font face="Georgia">___Date 1___</u> ___Date 2___
    Name 1 Name 3
    Name 2</font face=georgia>

But with Across-Then-Down specified in the subreport, the date and participants appear on one row, rather than in one column which is a rather unappealling layout:

<font face="Georgia">___Date 1___ Name 1 Name 2
    ___Date 2___ Name 3</font face=georgia>

I'll continue playing with it, but if anyone has any suggestions for getting the column format without the potential for messing up the header, I'd sure be grateful!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Do you really need the header information on each page? If you can live with displaying it on the first page only, you can put it in the report header, which does have a Can Grow property. Otherwise, I don't see a solution for your problem.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This is certainly not a bullet proof solution but you can start to play with it.
    In the on format event of the pageheader put this line :
    Me.PageHeaderSection.Height = 283 * (Len(Me.MyField) / 15 + 1)
    Where
    283 = the height of the control with one line.
    15 = the average number of characters there is on one line in the control.
    MyField = the growing field.

The problem is that I don't know how to determine the exact height of the grown textbox.
    HTH
    Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple Column Report (2003 SP1)

I have a six column report which, for the most part, works fine. I use the Page Header section for some information that applies to all columns and spans the full page (across all six columns). The problem I'm having is with growing fields in this header. Since the Page Header section does not have a CanGrow property, the field that grows (vertically, when it contains lots of text) can get clipped. If I rearrange things to put this header information into a group header (which does have a CanGrow property), this group header is subjected to the six-column page layout (it doesn't span the full page). I resorted to Plan C: I put the detail information into a subreport and specified a six column layout for the subreport. In the Parent report, I retained the group header (to get the growing behavior) and changed the layout to one column (to retain the full spread of the growing header). The problem is that the subreport apparently inherits the layout of the parent, as each column appears on a separate page.

So, in a nutshell, is there a way to create a multiple column report with a full-width CanGrow (vertically) header? My attempts have failed!

Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Certainly an option, Hans. May have to resort to that. Thanks for the suggestion for using the Report Header.

I may just expand the Comment field (the one that grows in the header) to 2 or 3 lines (fixed) as that should big enough for 90-95% of the records. That might be the simplest. My preference is to have the header on each page.

Thanks again.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Very sneaky, Francois. Since I'm using a fixed pitch font (Courier New) for the field's text, I should be able to be fairly accurate in estimating the number of lines (and hence the height) needed. I'll have to give this a try...

Thanks,