Lounger
    Thanks

Chart Does Not Update? (2000, sp3)

A colleague built a file and is charting some data. It's a line chart with four series, two on each Y axis. Each series has 12 data points - all in all, a very straight-forward chart. The charted data appears on the same sheet as the chart by using formulas to gather data from several other sheets.

When the data that feeds the chart is updated the chart DOES NOT reflect the new data. The formulas (including those that directly feed the chart) update and display new data, but not the chart.

He tried to send me the file to see if I had the same problem, but it's about 8 megs and our business' gateway choked on it. So he removed all the sheets that were not integral to the chart.

When I got the file, I could not reproduce the behavior. When I sent the file back to him, HE could not reproduce the problem either - the chart worked just fine. Thinking the problem fixed, he added the other sheets back to the file and the problem reappeared. The only way to get the chart updated is to close and re-open the workbook.

We have tried all sorts of permutations and combinations but it boils down to this: if the file only has the seven sheets he needs for the purposes of this chart, everything is great and works fine. If he adds the additional sheets he needs (which are entirely irrelevant to the chart), the chart no longer updates automatically.

My suspicion is something uncontrollable (i.e. file corruption or something else). At this stage, I'm thinking he's going to have to rebuild the offending sheets, as they seem to be the cause of the pain. But I thought I'd do well to query the learned gurus and see if something else may be afoot.

Sadly, I cannot post the file (too big and it's also chock full of proprietary banking data).

Thanks for any help.

Frank

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Chart Does Not Update? (2000, sp3)

Maybe taknig a roundtrip through HTML will remove corruption?

Save-as webpage, close and reopen html file and save-as workbook.
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

Thanks

Ae the charts actually charts or just pictures? If you copy and paste a chart as a picture, it is "static" and will not update

Steve

Lounger
    Thanks

It's definately a chart - I can go in and muck with the individual series, etc. And everything works just fine in the chart when the sheets are limited to those that affect it - it's only AFTER you put in the other sheets in (via a sheet copy from a separate workbook) that the chart suddenly can't update itself.

Frank

Lounger
    Thanks

I'll give that a shot. Does it sound, to you then, like it is a corruption issue?

Frank

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Well, it does. But other issues may be there too.

Check this site for a wealth of information about calculations in Excel:
    http://www.decisionmodels.com
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association