4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Recordset Not Updatable (2000)

Hi,
    I have a form. This form has been working just fine. There is a main form and 2 subforms. On this form the user updates a receive date for parts. It was working fine. Now when we try and update any field on these subforms I get the message "recordset not updatable". I can't figure out what has changed. To my memory I haven't changed any of the queries or tables that the forms are based on. The only thing we've been doing is putting in a bunch of old data. I went back to a backup I created a few weeks ago and it works in that version, so I did some comparison and can't seem to find anything different. Can anyone think of why it would stop working?
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Recordset Not Updatable (2000)

I don't know how much work it would be to do the following:
    - Make a copy of the backup that works OK.
    - Delete all records from the tables (except for lookup tables if you are sure they haven't changed in the meantime)
    - Create links to the tables in the problem database; since the names of the tables are the same, the linked versions will have a 1 appended after their names.
    - Create append queries to append the data from the linked tables to the local tables.
    - Execute them, starting with the tables on the 'one' side of relationships.
    - When you are done, you can delete the append queries and the linked tables.
    - Test whether you can update data.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It won't be too much trouble. I'll give that a try. Any thoughts as to what might have happened though?
    Thanks,
    Deb

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Something must have changed, but without seeing the database it is hard to say.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I have Total Access Detective - Microsoft Access Database and Object Comparison Tool
    If you want, you can send me the two databases and I'll compare them. (see my profile for my e-mail address)
    Francois

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well I was in poking around my tables looking into a change that was requested and noticed that one of the tables primary key was turned off. So I turned that back on, the form now works. Don't remember doing that, but must have. Thanks again for all your help!!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm glad you found it. There had to be some kind of change - queries do not become non-updatable spontaneously.