New Lounger
    Thanks

Form: automatically assign unique number to field (2000)

I'm building an issue database. When opening the form to create a new issue I would like the "Issue ID" field to automatically populate with a unique ID number, most preferably the next available from the list of current issues in the table. The "Issue ID" field is also my primary key, not sure if that is an important bit of information.

Or, if someone has a nice issue database, or something similar, that I could use as a starting point and customize for myself, if you wouldn't mind sharing that would also be appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form: automatically assign unique number to field (2000)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

The easiest solution is to make the IssueID field an AutoNumber field. Access will automatically assign a number to each new record, starting with 1.

If you select File | New... in Access, and activate the Databases tab, you'll see several types of database that can be created; in Access 2002 one of them is "Service Call Management", I don't know if this is available in Access 2000. You can also download database templates from Microsoft Office Templates: Business.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Form: automatically assign unique number to field (2000)

Appreciate the quick response and info. I'll check into the templates.