New Lounger
    Thanks

Pesky Fillin Fields (Word 2003)

I have several old documents where someone wrote a macro to put the filename in the footer. Instead of using the "full path", the macro prompted for the location where the document was stored. (????) To complicate matters, the macro used "fillin fields" to prompt for the location.

So now, I have all of these documents which display the "fillin" prompt everytime the document is printed, print preview etc. Some of these docs have been Saved As multiple times and the fillin fields still live on. BTW, documents were created in Word 97, 2000 and 2002, but now we're working in Word 2003. WHAT A MESS!

Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying behavior?
    Thanks for any help!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Pesky Fillin Fields (Word 2003)

Are these Fillin Fields or InputBoxes?

If they are fields then you can find them in the document and delete or modify the field. Alternatively, you check your Tools > Options to make sure you are not prompted to update fields when printing.

If they are InputBoxes (initiated by a macro) then you need to look for a macro called FilePrint and alter/remove that macro.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

They are truly Fillin Fields. The macro is pretty poorly constructed (all recorded) and used fillin fields to prompt user for folder name. Now, the document seems possessed with this fillin field. Even if I delete the fillin field code or turn it to text (Ctrl+Shift+F9), it continues to prompt everytime I go to Print, Print Preview etc. I did check Tools, Options, Print and the computer is not setup to update fields on print. There is no macro in the document.

BTW, there are loads of these documents which have used this macro.

Thanks for any help,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I suspect a macro somewhere - possibly in your Normal or attached template. Do you get the same problem if you Open Word by typing 'winword /a' into the Start>Run dialog and then open a problem file while the shift key is held down?

If this doesn't work then I think you will need to post one of the documents - delete all the sensitive content and check that the problem still exists first though.

Fillin fields don't require macros but wont automatically regenerate themselves if you break all the fields in the document (including in the headers/footers).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia