Star Lounger
    Thanks

Automatic Updates (Windows XP - SP2)

Okay, so here's the deal: a yellow Windows Update icon appeared in the System Tray this morning. I hovered the mouse over it, and it said, "0% downloaded" -- and then it disappeared. I rebooted the system, same thing happened.

I checked Windows Update online. There are a bunch of Security Updates waiting to be installed. Nine of them, in fact.

I checked the Security Center. Automatic Updates were set for "Don't download, but inform me." To test things, I changed it to "Download, but don't install until I tell you."

Again I rebooted. And again, I got that yellow Windows Update icon, and again it just disappeared without downloading anything.

Any idea what's going on with this? Is there something in my Administrator setting that could have gotten changed? Or some other setting somewhere? (I have my Internet Options/Security settings on High. Would that block Automatic Updates from downloading anything?) Or what?

Thanks very much in advance.

Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Updates (Windows XP - SP2)

This happens to me from time to time, including yesterday, with the latest batch of nine updates. At other times, the download goes through. I just go to the Windows Update site and install the updates from there.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Automatic Updates (Windows XP - SP2)

Okay, here is my problem: My little window showing that "Secure IE AutoUpdate downloading list of updates" appears and appears to be frozen. Usually it comes on does its job and disappears. My windows Task Manager says it's not responding.
    So I hit "end task" the window disappears and then pops up again. I can't figure this one out. Any suggestions?