5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two questions about 'search' (OL 2003)

1. After conducting a search, the list of messages does not show which folder the mesages are in. If the search is saved, then the folder is visible. Is it possible to show the folder in the "raw" search results?

2. Searching always defaults to a single folder. Is it possible to make the default "search in subfolders"

TIA
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Two questions about 'search' (OL 2003)

1. One way is with some simple code like this attached to a button:

Sub showpath()
    MsgBox ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.Parent.FolderPath
    End Sub

but it works only with an opened item. (My searches tend to find things in more than one folder.)

2. The usual default DOES search all Subfolders. Try this: Open Advanced Search and then Click on Browse. At the bottom left , check the box "Search Subfolders", OK out. Does the setting stick?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks

Which kind of Search? In my Search Folders, the last column (before the flag) is "In Folder." If the view you are using doesn't have this, you can customize it. In the Advanced Search dialog, I also get the folder...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry for the delay responding... Just to be certain we are talking about the same version, Help > About lists the version as Outlook 2003 11.5608.5606

Immediately above the "inbox" title, there is a toolbar with "Look For: ", "Search In", "Find Now", and "Options" items. I am trying to conduct the search from that toolbar. If I choose Options > Browse, then there is a folder list where the "Search in Folders" is indeed checked. However, if I return to the toolbar and use the "Search In" button and select the "Choose Folders" item, then the Search Subfolders is unchecked. This setting controls where the search is conducted, and nothing I do causes this checkbox to stay checked. As I move from one folder to another in the list of folders, then the "Search In" dynamically follows whatever folder is currently selected.

If I check the Search Subfolders checkbox, then it remains checked for the duration of the Outlook session. But if I quit and restart Outlook, then it is unchecked again. Conversely, going thru Tools > Find > Advanced Find > Browse Folders always seems to have it checked, and it is a non-sticky setting between sessions.

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way and should not be using the toolbar for searching. It just seemed so obvious to use, but it doesn't stay configured the way that I want it to stay configured.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I made the assumption that you were talking about Advanced Find, my mistake.

I don't use the feature you are asking about. (There's a discussion <!post=here,306118>here<!/post> about keyboard shortcuts related to it. If you close that find dialog bar it will go away; Ctrl-E brings it back.) I'll take your word that the "Search Subfolders" option isn't sticky in that toolbar; you might want to learn to use the Advanced Find feature, under Tools | Find | Advanced Find, keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Shift-F, where I'm sure that for me, Search Subfolders is sticky.

HTH.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS