Lounger
    Thanks

complex page numbering (2003)

Hello Everyone
    I am writing a technical document that has several appendixes. At the last minute, the client reversed his previous decision to have all Appendixes standalone digitally but merge them physically for the presentation. He now wants to provide his customer with a single document, both digitally and physically. But each Appendix must have it's own page numbering ( 2 of 6, 3 of 6, etc). This is a complex document with 13 separate Sections to handle page layout in core document.

The only way I can figure out to do each appendix with separate page numbers is to use the Continuous Section Break on each page so I can manually set the footer at the bottom of each page.

Surely there is a better way. I hope someone can enlighten me before my deadline.

Many Many thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: complex page numbering (2003)

You don't need a section break on each page, but each appendix must be in its own section.
    Position the insertion point in the first appendix.
    Select Insert | Page Numbers...
    Click Format...
    Specify that the numbering starts at 1, instead of continuing from the previous section.
    Click OK in the Format Page Number dialog.
    Click Close (not OK) in the Page Numbers dialog.
    Double click the header or footer containing the page number.
    Press Alt+F9 to view field codes.
    Make it look like this:

{ PAGE } of { SECTIONPAGES }

The { } are field brackets; do not type them yourself. They are inserted by selecting Insert | Field or by pressing Ctr+F9.
    Press Alt+F9 to hide field codes.
    You may have to select the fields and press F9 to update them.
    Repeat as necessary for other appendices (depending on whether their header/footer is the same as that of the previous section.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Hans.

That was a very valuable and instructive lesson for me. I appreciate that. But like all good learning experiences it inevitably leads to more questions.

Any idea how to get the core document page counting to stop at the appendixes?

Here is another problem I just discovered. When I update the core document TOC it picks up all the TOC entries for each Appendix. I suspect I will have to create a separate unique heading style (App_A_Heading1, App_A_Heading2, etc) to associate with the TOC references for each appendix. What do you think?

Sincerely

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Any idea how to get the core document page counting to stop at the appendixes?

You can restart the page numbering with each section, the way I described in my first reply. Apparently that is not what you want; can you explain what exactly you mean?

> I suspect I will have to create a separate unique heading style (App_A_Heading1, App_A_Heading2, etc) to associate with the TOC references for each appendix.

If you want separate TOCs for each appendix, yes.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I understand correctly, you want the main part of your document to read page 1 of 12, 2 of12, etc., with "12" being the last page of your document, not including the appendices. If so, this is one way you could do it:

Put a { PAGE } field code on the last page (before the appendices), not in the header or footer, just after all the text on the page. Enclose it with a bookmark called "LastPage." Then, in the main part of your document, change the code so that instead of reading { PAGE } of { PAGES } in your header or footer, you have { PAGE } of { REF LastPage } instead. Once you've changed all your header/footers, go back to the last page and select the page number reference you inserted and make it hidden text.

--Karyl

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi guys
    Many thanks for your help.

Hans, my apologies for not being as clear as I should have. Karyl made a pretty good guess and gave me what I need. I sincerely appreciate your help.

Karyl, I have long thought that MS Office VBA capability would be a cool and profitable effort. Can you recommend any good books for me to learn more about VBA?

Again, Many many thanks for everyone's help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See for example the threads starting at <post#=70521>post 70521</post#> and <post#=142298>post 142298</post#>. Both contain links to books on Word VBA.

New Lounger
    Thanks

This has been helpful; THANK YOU! However, it has solved only half of my problem. My document is 37 pages long. I want page numbering to begin on "literal" page 6 - BUT I want that page to be page 1 of SECTIONPAGES. I want the first 6 pages to have no page numbering. By using your suggestion, I am able to get halfway there. How do I removed page numbering from the first 6 "literal" pages? Secondly, Word is starting with the digit 2 instead of 1 when it begins its page numbering. How do I make it begin with Page 1? Is there a field code called SECTIONPAGENUMBER?

thanks,
    Chuck

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Chuck

You need a section break between the 6th and 7th "literal" pages. Then you need to format the headers/footers in the two sections to get the results that you want..
    Whilst in headers/footers view, unselect the "same as previous" property for the header/footer to make sure that you can have different headers/footers in the two sections.
    Delete the page numbering from the header/footer in the first section.
    Then in the header/footer in section 2, click on the "format page number" icon in the header/footer toolbar and choose the page number radio button adjacent to "start at:" and make sure that "1" is the value in the box.
    The {PAGE} field will now behave as you want.